2001 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino

Soft, yet well structured. Overtly fruity. Generally a very attractive wine. I plan to open another one of these this week and will post a more detailed note when I have time to actually sit down with a whole bottle. 92-94
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Fulton:
Soft, yet well structured. Overtly fruity. Generally a very attractive wine. I plan to open another one of these this week and will post a more detailed note when I have time to actually sit down with a whole bottle. 92-94

Let me know what it is like upon opening. To me, this was a beautiful wine after the 5-6 hours of air.
  • 2001 Azienda Agraria Lisini Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (5/3/2008)
    Picked up on sale, can't remember the price except to say it was >$30. Slightly brown color, much to my surprise. It's got such a pretty, expressive nose with a floral quality underscored by burnt rubber, sour cherry, some cinnamon, and a bit of dark chocolate. It's beautiful in the mouth, medium to full bodied, with quite a bit of burnt fruit and an earthy quality. It has plenty of tannin and a high acidity and finishes well despite a little burn at the end. For the money this is a terrific wine. 95 point nose, 91 point palate. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I found Longboarders notes here in this conglomerate post. I respect LB's palate quite a bit, I wish I had known he thought so highly of this wine before I only bought 2!
indy,

I wouldn't touch the Lisini until at least 2011-2013. It's such a fantastic, structured wine that there's no reason to rush it.

OCD: As for the Castelgiocondo, I know it's not Longboarder's style of Brunello, but I had it from half bottle toward the second half of last year and it was awesome. More modern, up front style. Still tastes like Sangiovese to me, but is obviously way different than Costanti, Fuligni, Lisini, etc. Don't worry.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
indy,

I wouldn't touch the Lisini until at least 2011-2013. It's such a fantastic, structured wine that there's no reason to rush it.

OCD: As for the Castelgiocondo, I know it's not Longboarder's style of Brunello, but I had it from half bottle toward the second half of last year and it was awesome. More modern, up front style. Still tastes like Sangiovese to me, but is obviously way different than Costanti, Fuligni, Lisini, etc. Don't worry.

Good to know. Thanks. Smile
I've caved and had two of my bottles of this so far this year, plus we tasted it at the winery in April 2007. It's an amazing wine, and a steal at $50 or so. It'll last for decades, but it's also surprisingly enjoyable now, particularly considering it's made in a very traditional style without use of barriques.

Not that these wines are anywhere near their peak now, but I keep finding that the 2001 Barolos and Brunellos are surprisingly easy to enjoy in their youth; there was just something about that vintage. At comparable ages, 1999s and 1997s were not nearly this enjoyable.
Anybody had one of these lately? I have a single bottle, and if anybody thinks it'll show well with a few hours' slow ox, I may sacrifice it for my regular blind tasting group this week. I have '01 Castelgiocondo and Capanna Riserva in quantity, but those are FAR too brutish to enjoy at this stage.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Anybody had one of these lately? I have a single bottle, and if anybody thinks it'll show well with a few hours' slow ox, I may sacrifice it for my regular blind tasting group this week. I have '01 Castelgiocondo and Capanna Riserva in quantity, but those are FAR too brutish to enjoy at this stage.
I don’t have a ton of experience with Lisini, but from what I hear they are built for the long haul. I would let it sleep if you only have the one bottle.
I had the 1997 Lisini in September and found it drinking just at the beginning of its window. Stellar.

Based on my evaluation of the 2001 a year or so after release, I haven't earmarked my first bottle until somewhere between 2013-2015. Personally, I would hold off if possible.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
I too am flattered to be named with this distinguished group. Jochems is a BdM tasting beast. I know that he is going to be in Italy in a few weeks. Be prepared for numerous tasting notes to follow.

Now you're being way to modest LBCool

quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
Jochems is a BdM tasting beast.

And grosly exaggerating in the same post Big Grin

As to the Lisini '01, I've always been amazed by the accessibility when young AND longevity of the Lisini Brunelli. I would not be surprised if they are drinking just beautifully right now.
  • 2001 Azienda Agraria Lisini Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (3/1/2012)
    Its 5 years since I last had this wine, it is developing very graciously. It is very much open from the start though slightly hollow on the palate. After about 2 hours it evolves into some great Brunello with a remarkable freshness of fruit which makes it seem very young for its age..
    At this moment in time the color is light ruby with no signs of ambering. Full aromas of blackberry cherry and some plum and tobacco with spicy hints. Full bodied with chewy-smooth tannins sweet fruit and lots of fresh acidity. The finish is long and fresh.
    As noted, it is very much open right now but it also has loads of structure to develop for many years to come. Drink now - 2025 (93 pts.)

My guess is that it will show really well. I just had a 2001 Livio Sassetti Pertimali BdM that was in great shape. Wonderful to drink now, but with structure to last, suggesting that it was perhaps at early peak. Coming from a warmer part of the region, it may be a great time to drink the Lisini normale now...

Add Reply

Likes (0)