2001 Leoville Barton, tasted on September 22, 2006.

This was opened for me to see how these babies are doing and if I wanted to stockpile more of these. At first it was tight as a nun's -insert word-. We gave it 30 minutes in the decanter with lots and lots of swirling and it really started opening up. I can feel the silk in my mouth, tannins very approachable. I want to see what this wine looks like in 3 years. A terrific off-vintage Bordeaux...BD94
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
A terrific off-vintage Bordeaux...BD94

I will go on record now stating that 2001 is NOT even close to being an "off-vintage" IMO.

'01 in the left bank may be a touch better than the right bank, but they are both good.

2001 may not be nearly as good 2000, 2003 or even 1995, but it is MUCH better than 1999 and 2002 IMO and maybe as good or better than 1996.

I have no idea why 2001 isn't regarded by many as an excellent vintage. The 2000 vintage overshadowing it is likely the reason.

I have tasted quite a few 2001's and the only reason I can see the top wines being considered of mediocre quality would be due to them being shut down.

Just my $0.02.
Let me beat this dead horse a little more...2001 is far from an off vintage. It's too early to tell, but I'm betting that it will show as a very good vintage in the medium to long term. As previously mentioned- better than 02, 99, perhaps 04, definitely better than 97, probably 98, definitely 91-94.
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
Let me beat this dead horse a little more...2001 is far from an off vintage. It's too early to tell, but I'm betting that it will show as a very good vintage in the medium to long term. As previously mentioned- better than 02, 99, perhaps 04, definitely better than 97, probably 98, definitely 91-94.

And almost all of the 60s.
quote:
At first it was tight as a nun's -insert word-.

I don't have any problems with the opinion of the wine, having never tasted it, but I do have one (actually 2) question: Bella, why must you so frequently use gutter language and obscene references? Can't you make yourself understood without resorting to piggishness? I'm guessing Berno finds the reference demeaning to his religious beliefs.
quote:
Originally posted by Luc Sabourin:
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:

And almost all of the 60s.

Not 61 or 66 though. I've had a number of 66s and while most are well over the hill now, I can tell this was a vintage worth note. I've never had a 61, but I'm hoping one day Board-O will share some a 61 first growth with me.
Let me clarify...when I say "off vintage" I mean not a vintage that critics raved about and jacked up prices. That is why I had the term in quotes.

grossie,
You are very lucky to have mags of this. If you would like to sell me one or two, please email me at insearchofmarcassin (at) yahoo (dot) com.

For Board-O,
I will rephrase a portion of my tasting note: "At first it was tighter than a nut on a bolt fastened 20 years ago."
quote:

grossie,
You are very lucky to have mags of this. If you would like to sell me one or two, please email me at insearchofmarcassin (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Hahahahaha. BD, I don't buy bordeaux to sell, especially in mags. I bought these to keep 15-20 years. Smile
2001 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (5/8/2018)

Opened by Dan. Not decanted. 3rd time I have had this wine but not since 2006. 2001 was a good but not great year on the left bank in 2001. Black red color. Notes of iron and red berries. This has certainly changed since 2006. Less fruit and more secondary notes of tar and leather. Softer tannins as well. Probably would have benefited from some air time. 89-90+ points.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)