Purchased at Costco last Sunday for $16.99, I was a little nervous that maybe they couldn't repeat the performance of the 1999, which was an excellent wine. (I have yet to try a 2000 Cali Cab). Well, Mrs. Wino and I served this with Costco ChikParmesan on Monday night and were amazed with the richness and full fruit flavors that it delivered. Tannins were smooth and absolutely no bitter quality that I have picked up in a great deal of CaliCabs recently.

Being a work night, we left a large glass-worth of wine for Tuesday. I had mistakenly forgotten to cork the bottle so I thought it might lose some zip and flatten out. Well, I thought it was probably better than the night before (my wife still liked it a lot but preferred Day 1).

I have to tell that my hope for California Cab bargains has been restored by this wine. Parenthetically, I realize I spend too much time at Costco. Wink

It didn't quite measure up to the Pride '01 Cab we had on Saturday, but that wine goes on my short list of great wines I've had in my 7 years of wine experience. My gut reaction is that I'd give the Hanna 91.587 points and at $16.99, we'll pick up another case or so. Yay!

Stood up and tried to focus
I hoped I wouldn't have to look far
I knew I could use a bloody mary
so I stumbled next door to the bar
Original Post
Agreed! This is an outstanding cab. I cracked one last week right after bringing a case home from Costco, here are my notes:

Served without decanting, this wine possesses excellent color, a dense dark purplish-black. Striking aromatics leap from the glass, with dense cherries, blackberries, cassis, and wonderful oak infused spices. These aromatics carry through on the palate, where dense dark fruit is framed by firm ripe rich tannins and plenty of acidity. Terrific balance, rich and vibrant, with depth, focus, and pure fruit finishing long and tannic. Maybe Hanna’s best effort to date, 93+. Drink 2005-2012.

Let me set the record straight. I though the cop was a prostitute. - H. Simpson
I was a bit disappointed in this one due to the excessive heat on the finish. Too much alcohol for me that overpowered the fruit and tannins. I have been enjoying the Hanna Sonoma Cab since the 1996 vintage so I generally like their wines. I might give it another try but I don't think I'll be buying it in bulk like the 99 and 96 which have been my favorites
I tasted this last week.....

Not a bad wine at all. I think the '99 was better though. I found the '01 to be relatively simple. Beautiful color. Pleasant to drink, but nothing complex about it, and nothing showing me that it's going to get any better. I didn't find my bottle "hot" either. I'd give it 89 pts. solid. Great QPR wine.......

-DRAB

So much wine.....so little time!!!
i think i will have to pick some up, local store has for $19, i think...

RedMeat

try the 01' Justin Cab, just the regular one. i had it tonight and it was one of the smoothest 01' Cali Cabs i've had so far, though a little simple on the finish (my sinuses are acting up so take that w/ a grain of salt). plus, its in the $$$ range of the Hanna Cab and prob. a little more widely available.
My store is supposed to get some in today. I will pick up a couple and report back.

A friend of mine mentioned this last week before I saw this on the board. He bought two cases. He said this went up against some higher tier Cal. Cabs and it won hands down. Has anyone seen this article?

Cheers to GrapeFriends!
This bottle wasn't as expressive as the last one we drank. It was okay but not special. I didn't decant so I am certainly due part of the blame. Has anyone else seen bottle variance with this wine? I know I'm drinking this wine early but my experience with the 1999 and the first 2001 I drank is that it's a good wine drunk young.

Stood up and tried to focus
I hoped I wouldn't have to look far
I knew I could use a bloody mary
so I stumbled next door to the bar
Opened at approximately 6:35pm PST. Not decanted initially, served in Riedel Vinum Extreme Cabernet/Merlot stem.

Vanilla, vanilla, and more vanilla on the nose, likely due to MT+ or MTTH American Oak barrel.

Sweet black fruit on the entry that gets over shadowed by heavy wood, like chewing on tooth pick.

7:00pm PST, now tasting after decanting through an aerating funnel, which I believe is equivalent to about good two hours of airtime.

Same nose of heavy vanilla, can now identify fruit on palate as primary blackberries as the wood has toned down a bit, or I am simply getting more used to it. Brown sugar on the finish. Good amount of tannin with decent weight on mid-palate.

Will report back as the night and the wine progresses.

---------------------------
2003 Whirlwind Tour
Still nose of vanilla, with touch of coffee.

Wood on the palate has really toned down, may also have something to do with the fact of I just had dinner.

Gaining a bit of weight on mid-palate with lingering burned brown sugar finish that lasts for about 30 seconds.

A fellow forumite told me this morning that this reminds him of '01 Pride, which I can see the resemblance at about 30% less across the board from complexity to tannin.

Should be a solid wine that will score in the 90-92pts range, and if for some reason Laube gives this 93 or higher, definitely make it an early candidate for 2004 WOTY.

2003 Whirlwind Tour
quote:
Originally posted by pyang:
if for some reason Laube gives this 93 or higher, definitely make it an early candidate for 2004 WOTY.

This thread was started (and, therefore, I presume the wine was released) back in November 2003. Doesn't that make it ineligible for the 2004 Top 100?
wineismylife,

Yeah, it would be interesting to see where this comes out at. To a certain extend, it's amazing how tough it is to predict what WS or WA would score a wine. Roll Eyes

'01 Pride and '98 Pride both receiving 93pts from WS is puzzling. Parker scoring the '01 Hundred Acre at '95 is a bit strange based on the style of wine. Too many countless examples.

2003 Whirlwind Tour
HAd this last night - really wanted to try it based on the raving reviews from you guys.
My impression - a very nice cab indeed! Nice bouquet with dark garnet color. Lots of soft fruit and currant swimming in a silky rich body. Very well balanced, with charector to build on for many years. Great QPR! 92pts.

I bought several bottles, as I am sure this will vanish when the ratings come out.

quote:
Good food, good wine, good friends - what else do you need? Wink
I FINALLY got mine. It is everything that has been written thus far. The I only thing I had a problem with, was that I was chewing peppermint gum a couple hours before. After chewing on some nuts, raisins and crackers, I was able to detect all the nice stuff from his wine. A nice spicy nose of black peppar and black cherries. Maybe a touch hot. I noticed coffee and soft vanilla notes right away on the palate. (I opened this two hour before tasting)
This wine had a nice silky finish that coated my tongue. Thanks to all for the recs.

Cheers to GrapeFriends!
I opened one of these tonight. I must dissent on the prevailing opinion here. My 1 word TN goes something like this: ehhh (with disdain).

It's not bad. It doesn't bother me, but I find it overoaked and a little too light and a little too simple. I don't think it has the fruit to be anything special. I'm writing this on the second night of an open bottle and my impression has been the same both nights. If this makes the top 100 list of 2004 I will eat my head.

Yes, but I came here for an argument.

Oh! Oh! I'm sorry, this is abuse.

Add Reply

Likes (0)