Popped open at DoktaP's for the HDW offline. Pale yellow colour. Aromas of honey, lychee, lemon zest, white peach, spice, and tangerine. Medium-full bodied, medium sweetness, and good acidity. Excellent balance. Peaches, honey, spice, and white flowers on the palate. Long finish, ~45-50s. Lip-smacking good. 94 points (08/05/2004).
Original Post
Futronic,

The 2001 Gunderloch Auslese was a favorite of the CWM and we have opened it a few times at offlines. Including once where we opened 2 bottles (one decanted and one not decanted and compared them). Otis has also opened the 2001 Auslese Goldkap for us. The 2002 Gunderloch is every bit as good as the 2001. For a report on some of the 2003 Gunderloch wines check out this link. The 2003 Auslese was disappointing at this stage but it is still very young.

Lastly, I know it may be hard to believe; but, Gunderloch's TBA from this vineyard is otherworldly. I had the chance to try the 2002 TBA recently.

VM

Nomar Catuli
Pale yellow colour with green tinges. Aromas of honey, peach, lanolin, lychee, and a little petrol. Full-bodied, medium-sweet, with replays from nose and white flowers. Great acidity, but surprisingly evolved at this stage. Long finish, 50s, with honey and lychee notes. 93 points (07/24/2005).
This is always outstanding. Lemon, peaches and mineral notes on the nose with petrol notes just starting to emerge. Full bodied and fairly sweet with well balanced acidity. Refreshing without being too tart. Citrus, peaches and floral notes on the palate. Very long finish. I only have a bottle or two of this left and I will be holding for a few years. This should last for a long time. 94pts

Note: Having tasted the 2002 Auslese recently, the 2001 is of much higher quality IMO. Too bad as I have much more of the 2002. Frown
2001 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Rheinhessen (3/17/2018)

I bought this on release for $35. Opened with Emilio at dinner. 3rd time I have had this. Solid cork. Medium yellow color. This had very little petrol. Still vibrant and lively but very deep and developed. Loaded with apricot and tropical fruit notes. Minerally finish. Just an excellent wine and a very serious candidate for the greatest Auslese made in the spectacular 2001 vintage. 98 points.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)