I have heard it has a good QPR @ around $20.00. I think the grapes are from the Silvarado trail area. Does anyone know who makes this wine? Has anyone tasted it?
Original Post
I tasted the EDGE Cab. with a salesman a few weeks ago. Catchy packaging, decent wine, but not worth buying for my store, I decided.

The identity of their winemaker is supposedly their BIG secret... they claim that they need to keep it a secret in order to keep their price down, or something like that.

I haven't found a rating yet... any buzz out there?
No idea who makes it, and I don't have detailed notes here, but this was one of three dozen or so wines 2001 Cal Cabs at $25 and under we tried this year. It didn't make the top half. I'll check my notes tomorrow and share them.
By the way, our going away favorite, of those we tried, was the Alexander Valley Vineyard cab.
I belive the wine is made by Signorello.

I actually liked this wine -- it is a siple, plump, juicy CA Cab. For $20, I would go for Catena Cab (Argentina), but that is just me.

a

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
It goes for around $18 here. Tried it a couple months ago because the bottle caught my eye (I admit it - I bought a wine because of the packaging!). It was a fairly simple, fruity, young cabernet. Nothing special and nothing that would make me want to buy another bottle.
I found my notes on this wine.

"Edge - sweet plum, raspberry, currant, a little rhonish funk, hollow mid-palate, short finish and very soft tannins. Soft on acidity as well. A picnic wine, crowd pleaser but not enough structure."
quote:
The identity of their winemaker is supposedly their BIG secret... they claim that they need to keep it a secret in order to keep their price down, or something like that.

This is, I believe, complete marketing BS. The folks responsible for selling this stuff give you this line of bull in hopes of creating a buzz about the wine. If its made by Philippe Melka (for example), he's already collected his money long before the wine hits the marketplace. Why not put the winemaker's name out there to help it sell? The more likely explanation is this, "We have to keep the winemaker's name secret, becasue if we told you who it was, you probably wouldn't be able to get $20 retail for this swill."

I don't know the wine -- it might be great, but this crap about keeping the winemaker secret is just marketing fluff.

"Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too."
whiner is correct, Signorello makes the wine. It is a nice restaurant wine, but for what they are asking for it in Montgomery County ($35-40 retail, the County is wholesaling it to restaurants for about $25), it isn't worth it. Some nice fruit, not much finish, pleasant but not noteworthy. If I could get it for $18 I would think about it, but not for too long.

When in doubt, open another bottle.
I picked up a bottle of this for $15, and was very impressed with it at that price. If I get back up to the store where I purchased it I will be buying more.

Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days. - W. C. Fields

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.