Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Profoundly maroon in the glass, classic chateauneuf du pape colour. Sweet black licorice and nutmeg on the nose.

Really creamy in the mouth, sweet rich black fruit, even without fruit and only a few minutes of air. In fact it's better right out of the bottle than an hour later, but wonderful whenever.

I tasted black cherry full fat yogourt, blueberry jam, cinnamon, orange peel, moccachino, something smoky, dried leaves and more sweet black fruit on the finish.

Fruit forward like a big New World blend of syrah and grenache/chateauneuf du pape knock-off, but a really good one. More California than Oz, as it's more syrah style than shiraz.

Really complex and interesting. Maybe the best chateauneuf du pape I've had, lately at least. Not just because it makes me think New World.

This is wonderful now but some lovers of ch. du pape might disagree. Will it improve? Who knows? But I've got 4 more bottles to find out....

94 pts.
  • 2001 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Origines - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/21/2009)
    Lovely decadent nose of pure kirsch, raspberries and ripe plum. Beautiful nose. The palate was also sublime showing signs of development with some secondary notes of tobacco and ripe plums. Smooth tannins. showing their presence but not overly aggressive and well integrated. Needs more time to age but approaching some decent level of drinkability. Long smooth finish. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Mimik, what's your guess on how many years this wine needs? I had a 2001 Cuvee du Vatican Reserve Sixtine last night and thought it was 2-3 years til I'd want to try it again.

I'd agree with that estimate. Any good bottle of wine from a top region in a good/great years needs 10 years of bottle age from the vintage date. I would suggest the 2001s will come around 2011 to 2015 and would last even longer. After 8 years, I have noticed the secondary flavours starting to creep in and that's why I opened this one.

Posted from CellarTracker
Another bottle bit the bullet tonight. Everything similar to last time except this is much more chateauneuf-like now than it was 2 years ago. Starting to get some earthiness and much less fruit forward, though still very New World-like.

mrs. bman insists she's getting grape jelly on the nose and still some sweetness but I'm getting much more traditional cdp notes though more so on the finish than in the mouth, which is still relatively fruity.

Still very youthful and I think this will be great for quite a while yet.

Very interesting wine and still enjoyable.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.