Skip to main content

I had a bottle last night that Lamberto Frescobaldi brought to dinner. It won't be released until January. The bomb! It's very concentrated with loads of cherry and mineral character. Full bodied, the wine is layered with polished tannins and a long juicy finish. If this is an indication of the 2001 Brunelli in general, I suggest saving now to buy in early 2006! It could be a nice combination of 1997 and 1999.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

• 2001 Castelgiocondo (Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (7/27/2008)
    Dark nose of wild cherry liqueur with some earthy and prunes notes. A touch of vanilla and a touch of toasty oak on the nose. The palate is suave with elegant integration between the acidiity and the fruit. Nice finesse to this wine but still very young and in need of another 5 years to reach its drinkability. Lots of fresh acidity and replays of that nice cherry liqueur on a long long fine tannin finish. 93+ (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
2001 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de' Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino (9/11/2009)
Based on the success of another 01 BdM (Ciacci) a few weeks ago on vacation, thought it would be fun to check in on another of that vintage. This is less open, but may be just as good down the road - based on these two now and a few on release, the 01 Brunello vintage really is pretty fantastic by me. From the pop, very tight but after half an hour or so of air, the nose opened up. After it opened up, nicely deep layered, rich red fruit, iron and earthy notes, tiny hint of menthol. On the palate, tight is the first impression but that doesn't last long - really great acidity, dark fruit, minerality and a really long finish - still tannic but not objectionable. (92 pts.)
2001 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de' Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (5/27/2012)

Opened by friend last weekend. Not decanted. Smooth earthy texture. Notes of black cherry, currants and smokey fruit. Integrated tannins and more approachable than the 2001 Fanti BdM which was served alongside this. 92 points.

VM
Opened my last of three with friends last eve. Not decanted, popped and finished over three hours.

Big nose of cherry, and darker berries, with minerals and earth. Tannins almost entirely resolved, but some mushroomy secondaries coming through. Not really sweet at all, but acidity not quite where I wanted it. No heat. Still, a delicious drink, and ready to go, but no rush. Drink of hold. 91pts

Opened my last bottle of this a couple of nights ago. Cork was in pristine condition. It took a little while in the glass to open up but it did very nicely. Floral and dark fruit on the nose. Some tertiary notes but not so much that I would have guessed this was 20 years old. Cherry and black plum flavours and good long finish.  I'd give this a solid 93 and a drink or hold if you like them softer.

Interesting note. The price sticker of CDN$54 was still on the bottle which is actually more than the SAQ charged us for the recent 2015 vintage ($50). Can't say that about too many wines.

@steve8 posted:

Opened my last bottle of this a couple of nights ago. Cork was in pristine condition. It took a little while in the glass to open up but it did very nicely. Floral and dark fruit on the nose. Some tertiary notes but not so much that I would have guessed this was 20 years old. Cherry and black plum flavours and good long finish.  I'd give this a solid 93 and a drink or hold if you like them softer.

Interesting note. The price sticker of CDN$54 was still on the bottle which is actually more than the SAQ charged us for the recent 2015 vintage ($50). Can't say that about too many wines.

Always a great buy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.