Skip to main content

The latest WS has tasting notes on many of the 2001 Barolos with 20 wines achieving classic ratings and the vintage as a whole looking spectacular. What are you buying? Have you had a chance to taste any 01s? What vintage will 2001 compare to? Is 2001 better than 2000? Is this a must buy vintage? These are just a few questions I had and was wondering if anyone had some insight.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, I have no insight. Nor do I trust my ability to taste young barolo and predict how it will be.

That being said, I'm buying 2001, and planning on the long haul. Given budgetary restraint, I'm sticking to QPR (if that applies): Damilano, Grimaldi Le Coste, Sori Ginestra (Conterno-Fantino). These all seem good value, and are available at less than list using Wine-Searcher.
The comments on the controversial 2000 vintage are interesting and although I haven't seen all the scores for the 2000 wines I thought the 2001 scores were very high following the "perfect" 2000 vintage. I didn't buy any 2000 Barolos after hearing the vintage is probably going to be early drinking and not as ageable as the more classic recent vintages (1999 and 2001). As for the 2001s I have purchased a mixed case of Conterno-Fantino, Revellos, Clerico, and Sebaste. Speaking of the Piedmont report I thought it was informative to see a good correlation between Suckling's and Galloni's notes and I'm betting on the wines of highest correlation to be really special. Finally, I'm guessing a lot of people who are into Barolos are loving the 100 point rating that WS slapped on the 2000 vintage. Razz

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.