2001 Anomaly Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (8/22/2007)
WIML89+,NOWA,WS82

Tasted August 23, 2007. Opened and decanted about 15 minutes before serving. Nose of Kirsch, black currants, black cherries and thistle. Flavors of black currants, cherries and berries. Medium acidity and tannins, medium to full body. Drink or hold short term. This wine might be cracking the 90 point barrier. One bottle left. (89 pts.)
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
wiml,

I wonder if Anomaly is having bottle variation problems?

A group of us had this wine and thought it was so pedestrian we did not drink half the bottle.

Glad your bottle was showing much better! Smile

I ordered a case and two mags of the 2001 Anomaly. My original rating was 83 points, as I remember. Then, as it aged, I raised the rating to 86/87. However, I recently opened a magnum and it was the best 2001 Anomaly I've had, meriting an 88/89 score. Perhaps it just takes more time Confused, but the 2001 vintage was the only purchase I made. I have talked with the owners and thought they were very nice and trying to produce excellent wine, but it's just not my style. Frown

WIML I think I still have 6 bottles and one magnum---if you need more! Smile
2001 Anomaly Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (7/10/2008)
WIML89

Tasted July 10, 2008.

No written notes. Opened and served immediately. Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of cassis, black cherries and black berries. Flavors of black cherries and black berries. Medium acidity and tannins, medium to full body. Drink any time over the short to maybe medium term. (89 pts.)
Constrained nose and taste, with some dark fruit and mature tannins. The 2001 Anomaly is packaged in the cat bottle (same as Caymus SS) with a nice label (I believe it's a wolf howling at stars), and a catchy name, all of which does a lot for the image, but nothing for the depth and richness of the wine. A pedestrian 87 points

Add Reply

Likes (0)