I had this wine tonight with pasta w/bolognese sauce. It didn't pair very well, so I waited until I finished eating to have most of it. I presently have about a half glass left from about 4 hours ago and it is pretty nice. It isn't a Kistler, but it is still pretty nice.

I got peach syrup, pineapple, cake icing and butter out of this. The pineapple was mostly in the nose, but the rest of the falors peeked out everywhere. It still does have a good bit of acidity, which is why it butted heads with the bolognese, I think.

All in all, an 88 pointer, maybe 89.

www.vinocellar.com -- Mm-Mm-good
Original Post
Had the same bottle Saturday night and would rate several points higher, 91-92 IMHO.
I know the chardonnay is good when the Queen reacts positively, which she did.

Cheers!
And remember: Life's too short to drink bad wine.
Had it last month:
This is the third time with this bottling. I had my first one last Spring and was a bit dissapointed (MM88pts). Then at an offline in May, better....MM90pts. The last year has done well for this. Still quite a bit of acidity which means I have time before my next. Apricot, mint, Pledge (a dusty lemon!) with a finish of white birthday cake! MM91 pts. now.
Last edited {1}
I like Chardonnays young, but when I had this wine 6 months ago, I felt it needed some more time in the bottle. With four left, it may be time to try another. Thanks for the notes, TJ.

Just one more sip.
My rating is based on the newer, tougher TJ Point Ratings System. I feel I have been perhaps too lenient in the past. This is definitely a solid wine, but I do not consider it in the same league as a Kistler. Still, it is cheaper than Kistler and I'd buy more if I can still find it around here.

www.vinocellar.com -- Mm-Mm-good
After the ratings came out and at that modest price, the wine disappeared from stores in short order.

Just one more sip.
A few months seem to have made a difference with this wine. We had it Saturday night with Pate de Campagne and Terrine de Foie Gras.

The wine had a nose of pears, apples, and oak, with rich flavors of tropical fruits, fattened and viscous. It's a big wine that just now approaching optimal drinking. 91

Just one more sip.
TJ,

Thanks for the notes. RSR has got to be one of the most consistently fine (and readily available)chardonnay values in the market. I loved the '97.

FYI, the 2001 vintage is available at Corridor in Laurel for ~$35 per. The '01s should be a pretty nice value.
Another no malo wine much like Montelena. Except this one has a style that seems more rich as opposed to zesty like the Montelena. Good juice from both producers, but hey what esle do you expect from names such as these.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.