Skip to main content

Just drank my last bottle and 6 months ago I popped a bottle that was shut down. 1999 was better for northern rhone but my last bottle rocked. Purple hue rich ripe red and black fruits with good acidity with integrated tannins and a soft yet firm palate. I have a magnum of the 2003 but I can't wait for the 2004 cheateaunufs to return to their terroir form.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Board-O is right - VT has a real gravelly feel to it, which needs time to round into form. I was very impressed with the way the '98 is coming around on my last visit there, and I loved the '95 as well.

Even though vintages like '99 and '01 are drining well for many CdPs, VT is best left alone for a good 8-10 years...their '04 is very strong, probably better than the '03 (I've yet to officially taste the finished wine from bottle)...
A few months ago I was fortunate enough to attend an off line with Jean and Catherine Hugues (Henri Brunier’s daughter) and my first tasting of VT- It blew me out of the water. There were many other highly acclaimed CDP’s at the tasting also, but the VT s were by far my favorite. The 94 was my WOTN followed closely by the 98 then the 84.

1982 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
was holding up quite well.

1984 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape- WOTF

1989 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape

Flight 2:

2001 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Blanc Chateauneuf du Pape

1997 Vieux Telegraphe L’Hippolyte Blanc Chateauneuf du Pape
This is a special cuvee that the Brunier’s make for friends and family only in good years. These wines offer them the ability to experiment with new techniques and styles without affecting the character of the La Crau wines. 40% Clairette, 30% Grenache Blanc, 15% Bourboulenc and 15% Rousanne.
Flight 3:

2001 Domaine Les Pallieres Gigondas
This winery is owned by the Brunier family and Kermit Lynch in a small village near Chateauneuf du Pape.
2000 Domaine La Roquette Chateauneuf du Pape
This winery is also owned by the Brunier family. A good, typical CdP but lacking the character of the VT.

1994 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
WOTN

Flight 4:

1997 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
1998 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
WOTF

1998 Vieux Telegraphe L’Hippolyte Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
Another of their special cuvees. 100% Grenache. Unfortunately badly corked. Not rated.

Flight 5:

1999 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
WOTF.

1999 Vieux Mas de Papes Chateauneuf du Pape
This is a bottling of the young vines of Vieux Telegraphe named for the house where Catherine’s brother Frederick lives (located in the middle of the vineyard on the La Crau plateau if I am not mistaken).
2000 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
Seemed very closed to me.
Flight 6:

2001 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape

2002 Telegramme Chateauneuf du Pape
100% Grenache from the disastrous 2002 year. Declassified Vieux Telegraphe relabeled on the back of the standard Vieux Telegraphe label as Telegramme.
2003 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau Rouge Chateauneuf du Pape
A tannic monster. Way too early to be drinking this. Beautiful core of cherry fruit with a long life ahead
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
Board-O is right - VT has a real gravelly feel to it, which needs time to round into form. I was very impressed with the way the '98 is coming around on my last visit there, and I loved the '95 as well.

Even though vintages like '99 and '01 are drining well for many CdPs, VT is best left alone for a good 8-10 years...their '04 is very strong, probably better than the '03 (I've yet to officially taste the finished wine from bottle)...

Based upon these notes I've put away my VT 2001's for a long sleep. Not intending to open them before 2011.

1999 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau

From magnum courtesy of Gigabit. One of the top wines in the lineup that night. Garnet color. The tannins were holding up very well and there was no sign of decline in this wine. Round texture with notes of garrigue, twizzlers, smoke and raw meat. Starting to drink very well at 23 years old. This was up there among the best La Crau's that I have had which includes the 1985, 1995, 2000, 2001 and 2006. 94 points.

VM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.