Skip to main content

Garnet colour with pink/orange tinges on the rim. Aromas of dried flowers, balsamico, blackcurrant, vanilla, mint, and mocha. Medium-full bodied and tannic, but very fresh tasting in the mouth, showing red fruits, mocha, and balsamico. Fresh finish, ~45-50s with red currant notes. Needs more cellar time, as this wine is just beginning to blossom. 91 points (05/20/2004).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

• 1999 Sottimano Barbaresco Currá - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (10/27/2010)
    Earthy floral notes on the nose, hint of cherry and black currant. Nice ruby color that belies its medium body. Barely light brown edges. Note to self: Decant seriously. A very dusty, earthy funk on the nose that dissipated quickly. Tannins still a bit rough, tart red cherries dominate, with some strawberries and violets evident, a hint of tar. I liked this, but my remaining two bottles will sit in the cellar for at least a few more years. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by stevei01
Thanks for the note.

I also love Sottimano's wines. A few of us got together last night and had the 2006 Curra (current release here in Ontario)and it was outstanding. Very, very young, obviously, but the balance and elegance of the wine was spectacular. It really opened up over the five hours (decanted; it had been slow-ox'd since the morning) and was a real chameleon, developing and changing throughout the night.

I'm most fond of the Pajore, but one really can't go wrong with any of their wines. I've also found that there has been a distinct uptick in quality starting from 2000/2001 where the wines have been significantly cleaner, and again in 2004 when the quantity of new oak was significantly reduced and new barrels made specifically for them from a renowned manufacturer in France went into use.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.