Skip to main content

Doc:

Barbera and Pinot Noir are in my top 5 list - I drink a fair bit of each. I find my preferred Barberas to be medium to full in body, showing strong dark or sour cherry flavor, usually some vanilla notes from oak aging, a healthy streak of acidity building to the fruit-filled finish, and usually light tannins. I tend to prefer California Barberas to the Italians, but there are examples I like and don't like from both regions. I'm delighted to see Barbera showing up from places like Washington now, and eagerly anticipate an Oregon Barbera.

Pinot Noir is a different beast altogether. I agree that some Pinot Noir can come across like some Barbera, but generally the Pinot Noirs I like show much more earthy spicy character, usually a number of different fruit notes, a distinctive aromatic profile (floral, spiced, fruited), and a finish that to my taste is best when showing medium tannins. And I'm hopelessly biased toward Oregon Pinot Noir.
Queenie:

Point taken. Sorry, my bad.

As to the Black Chicken, we have always enjoyed it. Let it breathe for at least 30 mins. I don't know what vintage you have, but we tried the '99 recently and my recollection is that there was a little spice to it. The Biale's story behind naming of the Black Chicken is also amusing, but I'll be respectful and wait until there's another thread that is on point. So, in a nutshell, the Black Chicken ought to go well with the BBQ. It should be "All Good."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.