Decanted for 1.5 hours. Very fragrant nose of violets, licorice, crushed rock, and dark fruit. Palate is dominated by blackberry, with some mineral, a bit of charcoal, and surprisingly little pepper following. Lush, long finish, with dark fruit and mineral predominant. Not in the same class as the superstar '01 vintage, but an excellent Shiraz nonetheless. Duckfaninmt score: 92+
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Not in the same class as the superstar '01 vintage, but an excellent Shiraz nonetheless. Duckfaninmt score: 92+

Thanks for the notes, duckfan.
Curious with the Apricot Block. Drinking now at the 10 year mark. Are you noticing a 'maturing' of this wine?
Much difference compared to a few years ago?
With the Aussies recommending drinking the bigger ones 10yrs+, I'm interested to your feedback on this.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Not in the same class as the superstar '01 vintage, but an excellent Shiraz nonetheless. Duckfaninmt score: 92+

Thanks for the notes, duckfan.
Curious with the Apricot Block. Drinking now at the 10 year mark. Are you noticing a 'maturing' of this wine?
Much difference compared to a few years ago?
With the Aussies recommending drinking the bigger ones 10yrs+, I'm interested to your feedback on this.

First, I have to state that I am by no means an expert on the subject; far from it, in fact... I just know what I like to drink Smile

To my recollection, I don't remember having the '99 Apricot Block before now (or least not a few years apart that I can recall) so I can't make an evaluation based on drinking one early and drinking one with 10 years of aging. I tend to commit infanticide on more than a few occasions with Shiraz (and Cabs), though I always try to allow a good hour or two in the decanter in the hopes that it'll open up the wine.

For me - and again, I could be totally wrong - I tend to think that most of the Shiraz (at least the ones I've been drinking) start coming into fruition drinking-wise 6-8 years from the vintage. The 2003 Kalleske Greenock Shiraz that I am having tonight is a good example... it's just an amazingly good wine. Will it be better with another few years of cellar time? I honestly don't know for sure, though I'm guessing it will so I'll have to show some restraint not to drink them all too soon. Wink

All this said, I think it does depend - at least somewhat - on the wine itself. One example is the 2003 Greenock Creek Alices that I brought for the "Minneapolis Does Shiraz" offline. We did not have the opportunity to decant the wine prior so that first glass was definitely locked down a bit. However, an hour or so of air time revealed a lot more characteristics, which no doubt would have been even greater with more air time or a couple years' time in the cellar.

Another example is the 2004 Torbreck The Factor that I brought (along with another bottle of wine) for a business dinner with my boss and a couple work colleagues. The boss, though he doesn't know too much about Shiraz, has mentioned that he's enjoyed The Factor, and with our sales being really good the past couple months, I thought it'd be a nice wine to bring (I have a few of the '04's but not many earlier vintages, which is why I yanked this one). It was good, no doubt about it, but it was too young for me and nowhere near what it'll be with another 3-5 years (or more) in the cellar.

That 2001 Greenock Creek Apricot Block is absolutely amazing, one of my favorites of all time. It's so good now that it's hard to believe it can get any better, though I will show some restraint and hold on to a few of them for a couple years to see how it evolves.

Add Reply

Likes (0)