1999 Dominus

We poured this last night at a meeting of the international heads of Nestle Foods, Inc. (Incidently, Bill Clinton was next door, but the Nestle people got the VIP room. I did meet him afterwards though)

The wine was a big hit and I also was impressed. I have had some disappointing sips of Dominus before, but this one has potential. I know it didn't get 99 points like previous years, but it deserves a high score.

Nose is BIG with up front cherry candy and smokey, coffee notes. The wine is noticeably tight on the palate, but full of sweet chocolate covered cherries and smoked meats, almost like a powerful version of sangiovese. Finish is smoother than I expected and quite lengthy, but needs more bottle time to work out the astringency. I was very impressed.

Passion turns intentions into habits.
Original Post
Clinton was receiving an award having something to do with The Civil Rights Museum and/or the NAACP. I could be wrong, but this wasn't exactly the type of crowd that picks Dominus as their wine of choice. I saw St. Francis Merlot, Merryvale Sav. Blanc, Chalk Hill Chard, and Frog's Leap Rose for that party of 1600 people. Not bad wines for such a large party.

Passion turns intentions into habits.
According to the AP:

quote:
The former president was in Memphis to receive the National Civil Rights Museum's highest honor, the Freedom Award.

Oh yeah, the wine! I've got a couple of bottles of the '99 Dominus as part of a vertical that I've been collecting for several years. Haven't tried one yet. I think I'll wait 'til 2005 or so.
Popped and poured. Allowed to open up in glass for several minutes. Classic Dominus Bordeaux-like nose. Bright and alive. Aromas of cherry and ripe red fruits along with a balance of dark fruit, some tobacco and spicebox. Silky, balanced, complete mouth feel followed by a long and satisfying finish.

This wine was singing Saturday evening with a ribeye steak. Beautiful pairing and I believe enhanced the grand showing of this bottle. Gorgeous. (KSC95)
Your choice, BRR.
I don't personally see this wine improving with further age. My opinion. However it's not close to a downturn by any means, IMO.
I will say that I tend to be in the camp of not aging my late 90s Cali cabs much past 10 years. I'd rather drink squarly in their window vs. pushing it and drinking a dated bottle of what was once great.
The color is very dark garnet, turning slightly brick-red on the rim. A dark wine, not only because of it's color but also because of it's aroma profile. First impression was like a 'Cahors', lots of licorice and dark fruits. After a while in the glass, the fruit intensified, notes of tobacco, spice and dark chocolate emerged. (Wished there was a little less licorice and a little more fruit)
The palate is very concentrated, yet balanced, from attack to finish. It literally explodes on the palate, leading to a really long finish.
Very very nice, 95 pts.
Wow, this one has really come around. Fruit notes of currant and plum with hints of balsa, carmel and coffee. Medium to full bodied wine with balanced acitity and silky tannins. Long finish. Delicious both with food and on its own. I don't see this improving much with additional time in the cellar but should continue to drink well for several more years. Sadly, my last bottle Frown. Red guy A
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Wow, this one has really come around. Fruit notes of currant and plum with hints of balsa, carmel and coffee. Medium to full bodied wine with balanced acitity and silky tannins. Long finish. Delicious both with food and on its own. I don't see this improving much with additional time in the cellar but should continue to drink well for several more years. Sadly, my last bottle Frown. Red guy A

I must have lost my invitation. Wink Glad it showed well.
It is often a matter of preference, but the bottle I had was singing. Not at all closed, long, very balanced and extremely enjoyable. 2 hours in the decanter prior to serving. Bottle variation? I hope my last one shows as well as this one did.

Java: Off-line? Perhaps. There were a few other gems I was thinking of sharing for our next get together.
1st glass poured without decanting.
The color is dark ruby with a slightly pinkish rim (quite surprising since i found some already orange rim in the previous bottle)
There's a hint of cherry and cassis, that quickly mutes on a dark underground (licorice) and notable spices. The mouth is big but disjointed.
After 2 hours of decanting:
The aromas of cherry, cassis, blackberry harmoniously combine with dark chocolate. The mouthfeel is big and smooth, starts slowly, first setting the dark chocolate backround then the fruit emerges and intensifies into a spicy explosion. The finish leaves a long echo, on the cassis and spices.
A fascinating wine, love how this evolves, every glass is a bit different.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Thanks for the notes! I'm opening my last bottle on December 2nd.

Looking forward to your notes.
For completeness, after 3-4 hours the wine still gained in complexity and showed much more directly (not the slow build up of aromas) than 2 hours earlier. You'll tell me how to name all those complex aromas, mpls, i'm not very good at describing red wines.

Add Reply

Likes (0)