Served with shrimp bisque.

The oaky nose was a little closed. The color was light straw. The wine showed the typically California buttery fatness, yet with a crisp jolt of acidity and a little more spice than usual for Chardonnay. The tannin was very noticeable with hints of pineapple and vanilla. 88 points.
Original Post
I haven't had the CSJ 1999 Robert Young Chardonnay, but was a big fan from the mid-1980s. I regularly gave them 90+. I HAVE guzzled a lot of the Robert Young Vineyards 1999 Chardonnay, and found it excellent to outstanding. I can't help but believe that the CSJ will suffer, now that the children of Robert Young are keeping the best grapes for their own wine...
Agree with HDW. Have been drinking the Robert Young from CSJ since early nineties. Really thought it worked well until the 1999 vintage when the children got in the act.
This, as we should know, will not stop CSJ from giving the consumer a break on its prices despite the fact that they aren't getting the best lots any longer.
King -
Couldn't agree with you more.
CSJ is as guilty as Caymus in their out-of-control price increases. Everybody talks about the Cinq Cepages prices, but I used to LOVE their regular 'Fume Blanc' bottling 3 years ago, when I could get it for $7 or $8. Now it retails for somewhere near $16. 100% increase in 3 years!!Thanks for nothing. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Queen -
When I first started to appreciate 'good' wine, the CSJ Pinot Blanc was the first case of wine I ever bought. I guess this was around 1994 or 1995. It cost me less than $10 per bottle before a case discount. I'm not even sure they offer it anymore. I looked at their website, and couldn't find any mention of it, although I may have seem it on their tasting room list when we visited there last year (before I left in disgust without even tasting at that new zoo they call a tasting room). What a horrible change from the cozy atmosphere that they had there in the late 1980s!!!! [Mad] [Mad]
Yes it's very different now. Miss the rickety stairs up to the old Reserve tasting room.
Funny, a few month ago we popped a corked bottle of '97 Cinq Cepages. I spoke with a very nice guy at the winery who offered to replace the bottle. The King and I were both members for years. (It hasn't arrived yet [Confused] )
But I did thank him, mentioning that I might not make such a fuss if it wasn't such a treasure, not to mention $$$.
He said,"Oh, even if it was 'just' the Pinot Blanc, we'd replace it for you." [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Add Reply

Likes (0)