1999 Chat. Brane Cantenac

The old ones had greater staying power than most classified growth Bordeaux. I've had a bunch back to the 1935 and still have a 1953, though it might be a 1955. The 1961 had more ageability than any right bank Bordeaux I've ever had. I've probably had a dozen bottles from vintages predating tyhe 1961. I've never had one that was headed south.
mareff, one never likes to hear of a mediocre drinking experience but I admit I was kinda hoping your bottle was the anomaly and not the rule.

Board-O - you reference the ageability of "old ones" so I know my remaining '61's are fine. But do you think there is a cutoff year after which B-C's stopped aging as well? Should I drink the '82 and '85 sooner rather than later?
I had the '82 a little less than a year ago and I thought it was drinking great. I don't have a whole lot of experience with older Bordeaux, so I can't tell you if it will go much further, however, I don't think I would be in a hurry to pop another if I had it.

As is usually the case with good older wines in my experience, the last sip was the best.

Add Reply

Likes (0)