1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello

quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
  • 1999 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de' Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (10/30/2010)
    Dark ruby red, still purplish on the edge. Coming strait from the cellar, the nose was rather muted, after about 30 minutes the nose came alive with blackberries, some oak and sweet cherries. Much of the same on the palate with nice texture, the tannins were fine and starting to integrate as is the acidity. Very nice showing of this bottle, and beginning its life of the drinking well stage. Medium-plus length finish (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

So, I take it no decant? Was is still cellar temp when you opened it? What do you think the window is for it to be at its peak? I only have one in my cellar and was wondering the best way to enjoy it.. and when. Thanx for the TN.. can't wait to enjoy mine. Cheers..
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
94pts? Really???? Anyone here dyslexic?

Hey, maybe you should try the wine before knocking it. Wink

Castelgiocondo is actually a very good wine. This isn't Banfi. It's a mass marketed brunello but a good one.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:

Castelgiocondo is actually a very good wine. This isn't Banfi. It's a mass marketed brunello but a good one.

I did try it - and then I took the case back for a refund! I admit it was on release, but I can't see how this wine could have made such a turn-around. Maybe your patience paid off, but it's hard to believe. I'll have to try it again and see for myself!
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did try it - and then I took the case back for a refund! I admit it was on release, but I can't see how this wine could have made such a turn-around. Maybe your patience paid off, but it's hard to believe. I'll have to try it again and see for myself!

We'll chalk it down to differing tastes. You are not alone in your dislike of this wine.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

We'll chalk it down to differing tastes. You are not alone in your dislike of this wine.

Well, now you got me curious how time has treated it.
I haven't had '99 Castelgiocondo for 4-5 years, but I thought it was a terrific though tight wine when I last tried it.

On a related note, WS vintage chart suggests the following for 3 outstanding vintages of Brunello:

1997 - DRINK OR HOLD
1999 - HOLD
2001 - DRINK

What I assumed from this is that JS thinks 1999 is more tannic than the other 2 years. Perhaps Castelgiocondo exemplifies this observation. In any event, I still have 10 bottles, and wasn't planning to open another for at least a couple years yet.
The debate on this wine piqued my interest and I decided to try one for myself.

Upon opening, the wine gave off some aromas of sour cherries, earth and a bit of tar. Very dark red and no bricking yet. On the palate, I found it thin and too acidic. I thought it was more like a rosso di montalcino rather than a brunello. I let it sit for three hours in the bottle. On next taste, the wine had added weight and complexity. Less earth/tar and more violet/floral aromas. Very soft tannins. My wife and dinner guest enjoyed it.

On final pour/taste, however, it seeems like the wine reverted back to my initial impressions - thin and simple sangiovese.

The long and short is that the wine was all over the map for me and I'm not yet convinced that that it is as good as some of the critics predicted.
Popped and poured, blind, in a lineup of 15 Tuscan reds. This was my highest scoring of the bunch. (My lowest score, a 76, went to an '07 Monte Antico.)

Pretty, charming spice, vanillin cherry nose; big, luscious fruit, velvety on palate, yet packed & concentrated leading to a long, echoing finish. Very refined & harmonious.
95 pts.
Opened a bottle of the 99 last night. It got better with some air time in the glass, but not a great wine. Well made and elegant as always, but the nose was somewhat muted and the finish so-so. I'd rate it 90-91 at best.

I'll hold my last bottle for a few more years to see what happens.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Opened a bottle of the 99 last night. It got better with some air time in the glass, but not a great wine. Well made and elegant as always, but the nose was somewhat muted and the finish so-so. I'd rate it 90-91 at best.

I had several 99 brunelli that were showing lots of tannin and little else. They now have a more patient loving owner.

If your wine is still in a 'dumb' phase 13 years after harvest, I think it is trying to tell you something.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

Glad to hear yours were still alive. The last two bottles I opened were completely dead, past prime.
Interesting. Were your bottles and steve8's SAQ acquisitions? I had this wine last year and my notes were that it was entering it's window. Like steve8, if pressed I'd have hit this in the 91-92 point range and I tend to be a tough scorer. I'm wondering if your bottles were flawed or otherwise injured in transit?

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Interesting. Were your bottles and steve8's SAQ acquisitions? I had this wine last year and my notes were that it was entering it's window. Like steve8, if pressed I'd have hit this in the 91-92 point range and I tend to be a tough scorer. I'm wondering if your bottles were flawed or otherwise injured in transit?

PH

Yes, in my case, two bottles straight from SAQ to my cellar... I was surprised that this could be dead already, but both bottles were faded in exactly the same way. Drinkable, but not pleasurable at all.
I was curious, so I opened one of mine last night.
I'm with Steve8 on this, well made but nothing exceptional and not as fresh as the first time I had it. Also would rate it 90-91. I Would not say its in a dumb faze, but not dead either, just an OK wine.
So.... slow-oxed a bottle for 2 hours before dinner. Had a sniff and a taste from the initial pour a half hour after opening. Lovely. Fresh red cherries on the nose with a definite tang of cranberry to accompany the cherry in the mouth. The cranberry faded after a few hours to be replaced with some darker (plummy) fruit and noticeable secondary nuances....earth, sweet mulch and some mushroom. Smokin' good. Have 3 left, and will probably consume one a year with NO worries about it going anywhere I don't want it to go!! Will bring a bottle to Montreal next visit. If I can remember..... LOL Great bottle of Brunello.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Still working on my last pour. It's getting better.... Winner Again, not a points guy anymore - but if pressed a definite 93+ right now. Perfect with short ribs. Just enough acidity to cut through the richness. Bam!

Over and out.

PH

Whew! Smile

I was a bit surprised by our friends' comments above. I also have a bottle standing for this coming Fri. or Sat. evening.

I have 9 or 10 more, and from my previous tastings could not really see this wine suddenly heading south so quickly, other than perhaps the odd bottle, of course. I've been drinking 2001 Castelgiocondo before 1999 finding the former showing a bit more forward.
Last night we had a bottle of this with roasted chicken dinner. It's showing really well.

Still fairly dark, no obvious bricking; nice floral and berry nose; medium weight, silky, good acidity, lots of berry, plum flavours, coffee, spicy; long finish with still some fine tannins at the end. This is flirting with being classic. I'm not seeing any disappointment in this wine at all.

Is it possible that in such a large production wine there could be <gasp!> bottle variation?
quote:
I am finally redeemed. The MWP never really liked this wine but I knew it had promise. Glad Seaquam and PH liked it a lot as well!

Steve8 has mentioned to me more than once that he thinks you are the only guy in Montreal with a really great palate, and that he wishes he were more like you. I look forward to meeting you and sharing a glass or two in the next couple of years.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
I am finally redeemed. The MWP never really liked this wine but I knew it had promise. Glad Seaquam and PH liked it a lot as well!

Steve8 has mentioned to me more than once that he thinks you are the only guy in Montreal with a really great palate, and that he wishes he were more like you. I look forward to meeting you and sharing a glass or two in the next couple of years.

He speaketh the truth. It's a shame the other members of the MWP don't feel the same.

It would be a pleasure to meet you Seaquam. Mostly yours but still a pleasure. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

LOL Nice. And I thought we were friends.

As for the wine in question, bottle variation is a definite possibility with the ones in Ontario and Quebec being inferior...except for the ones Mimik...errr...Robo Porker bought.

Add Reply

Likes (0)