Skip to main content

I couldn't find a dedicated TN for this wine, and it deserves one, but there were a couple of brief notes here.

Opened an hour or so before drinking, but not decanted. Big floral, plum and balsamic nose that really opened up in the glass. Medium-full bodied wine, lively acidity with good cherry and plum flavours on a delicious, but tannic finish. Excellent sangiovese character imho, and more so than the 99 Poderina, which we drank before it. I score this 95 points now, but it will definitely improve. Hold for another 3-5 years.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Again from memory but I remember this wine was very brooding with dark cherries, plums and coffee notes on the nose with a structured palate that was relatively wound up. The texture was not smooth or velvety but well made and it would need some time to open up and it did so after after an hour or so. Long finish Excellent wine. I believe 94 points is what I rated it this.
I've had the same experience. Opened a bottle in 2007 and really didn't think much of it given the price tag. I opened one earlier this month and wow what a difference!! Got a bit of tar when first opened the bottle which dissipated when poured. This bottle had less red fruit and more cedar box/woodsy nose. I also scored this a 95. I'll let my third and last bottle rest at least another year.

Cheers

MP

quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
I've opened this twice in the past 2 years, and what a waste compared to what this wine is showing now. By far, the best showing of this wine, for me, was the bottle last evening. I will hold my final bottle a few more years indeed.
A solid 95.
1997 is called the "American" Brunello, and it should be considered baffling at best! Everything lined up for this vintage to be classic. However, the wines are all over the board. Some 97s are still way to young to be touched, others are peaking and in decline. It's just atypical BdM.

I believe that the All'Oro Reserva can still be cellared for several more years. However, not knowing your tastes, I would recommend popping one and deciding for yourself with regards to the next bottle! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
1997 is called the "American" Brunello, and it should be considered baffling at best! Everything lined up for this vintage to be classic. However, the wines are all over the board. Some 97s are still way to young to be touched, others are peaking and in decline. It's just atypical BdM.

I believe that the All'Oro Reserva can still be cellared for several more years. However, not knowing your tastes, I would recommend popping one and deciding for yourself with regards to the next bottle! Wink

I agree with your assessment of the 1997 vintage, Sandy. I too have heard that the 1997s are not the homogeneous vintage that we have been led to believe exists. In fact, many are disappointed in their 1997s and shake their heads when they taste them.

Have you had any 1997s that you were not enthralled by either? I'd be curious to know.
  • 1999 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio All'Oro - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (3/7/2009)MTL BDM tasting 2009/03/07
    Nose of mushrooms, a bit of stinky cheese that blew off, moka and black cherries. The palate is lush with more moka and caramel but a bit rough due to its youth. A little coarse with a grainy tannins on a long tannic finish. The most closed of the wines. 5+ years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
1999 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio All'Oro - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (11/30/2010)

Opened by my Sister in law at Thanksgiving (I found this on sale for $50 and bought it for her). Normally sells in the $120 range. This got excellent reviews across the board including a 96 from WS. We drank this alongside a 1997 Antinori Pian delle Vigne BDM that I brought. Not decanted which was a mistake. Closed and tannic at first. it took about 3 hours of air to really open up. When it did, it showed better than the Antinori. Opulent and rich texture with solid fruit. Note of black cherry, cedar and leather. Long finsh. Will hold for many more years. 94 points once it opened up.

VM
Thanks for the note. I'm sitting on '97 and '99 still. Looking forward to them.

I saw '88, '90 and '93 recently for a good price... But my budget is on lock-down. Was quite tempted though.

The '95 I've had was excellent... '93 very good.

I heard due to hail, no 2001 was made. Major shame. I think 2004 is available now. Anyone tasted that?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.