Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Right bank Bordeaux might be your best bet if you can find and afford them. Also Chateauneuf du Pape, perhaps Piedmont, or Australia.

Chateau Trotanoy
Vieux Chateau Certan
Chateau Beaucastel
Clerico Ciabot Mentin Ginestra
Ornellaia (was WS wine of the year I believe but not sure it will go another 15 years)
Penfolds Grange
Henschke Hill of Grace

Good luck with the hunt!
Look at Graves or right bank bordeaux,
CdP or barolo.

Personally - I'd pick up 1998 La mission haut brion.

The Beaucastel is also very nice, but not a typical beaucastel. I think i remember being told that the percentange of grenache was significantly higher than usual - hince the slight taste different. Not sure how it will affect aging potential.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
Smith Haut Lafitte was amazing

Good to hear Nolan since I picked up couple of cases at an auction few months back. Have yet to crack one open.
I only had one and I wished I had waited a little longer. Depending how much you paid you probably struck gold. I think I paid $50 for mine.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
'98 Haut Brion is spectacular and can be purchased at "reasonable" prices.

When I attended a dinner sparing off Haut-Brion to Sassicaia earlier this year, the '98 showed beautifully. Suckling (who was in attendance) mentioned that, in his opinion, this vintage was 'a great buy' for H-B. Great value at current market prices for a wine showing so well.
I agree with barolo to an extent. Many bottles are starting to drink well now while other's will continue to improve. Names that come to mind as bottle I've had that will keep going strong. (this is in no way an end all list, just the ones I've experienced that could use more time)

1998 Luigi Pira Barolo Marenca
1998 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric dël Fiasc
1998 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto di Serralunga d'Alba
1998 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra
IIRC, you live in Utah. So off to auction you go and choice one would be right bank Bordeaux and then maybe select left bank. Then off to Rhone. Have delivered to your state of choice or pick up from auction site and smuggle back into state (not that I condone that Roll Eyes) or via winecommune a personal seller will not care where you live. Give UPS driver a nice xmas tip.
quote:
Originally posted by ktf:
What AVA would I be looking .

Since you said AVA, I'm assuming that you are looking only into US wines (otherwise the other posters have you covered for other regions around the world already).

In the US, CA had a miserable year up and down the coast and I generally wouldn't trust any wine to last another 15 years from this point and be in great shape.

Fortunately for you, Oregon and Washington did well. I'd agree with the aboe poster on Quiceda Creek and other well known producers of Cabernet Savignon. For Pinot, look for established producers that have a history of well structured wines, such as Penner and Ash, etc, which might have that ability to go that length of time but generally I'd stick with Cab for the length.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.