Skip to main content

Parker's note has this as "surprisingly evolved, moderately deep gold color that suggests rapid evolution".
I actually found the exact opposite to be true.
The color is a beautiful light gold, and it looks much younger than its 15 years.
He also notes how "not seamless or harmonious" the wine is, so apparently I have a polar opposite palate.
Which is probably the caseWink
The wine was beautifully structured, elegant and about as harmonious as I could imagine.
Lovely notes of lemon, oranges, ginger, green apples and spices.
It reminded me of a restrained (and better balanced) Marcassin Chardonnay, which is probably not surprising
as the Charles Ranch and Marcassin vineyards are right next to each other on the same ridge, and Helen Turley was the consultant for this wine.
A lovely bottle that I wish I had more of.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by kid lightning:
Parker's note has this as "surprisingly evolved, moderately deep gold color that suggests rapid evolution".

I would not expect a tasting note on a Cali Chardonnay from 13 years ago to have any relevance now, and I would never expect a 15 year old Sonoma Chard to reflect the same as it did in 2000.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by kid lightning:

I would not expect a tasting note on a Cali Chardonnay from 13 years ago to have any relevance now, and I would never expect a 15 year old Sonoma Chard to reflect the same as it did in 2000.

W+A- I agree re: relevance of old tasting notes.
But usually because the notes are opposite, ie: a TN that mentions how crisp/fresh/bright etc a young/newly released wine is.
It was just surprising to me that RP's review in 2000 gave the wine a 4-7 year window, and suggested it was evolving quickly.
Something must've happened in the bottle, because this could've easily passed as 10 years younger.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.