From Napa, and according to the label, made from 40-year old vines on a rattlesnake infested hillside. $23.

Bright purple color. Interesting nose of fresh raspberry, fudge brownies, and oregano. Must search for the fruit on the palate - some hints of blueberry and white pepper. Full-bodied, but a tad flabby and chunky. Substantial tannins on the finish. Can probably age for a few more years. Not sure if it will improve. An average example of this varietal. 87 pts.

Cheers,

Otis
Original Post
Hi Jeremy,

To be honest, I've only had a handful of PS in my drinking life. I would defer to some of the others on this board to recommend some really fine examples, because I haven't had any. I'm sure someone like Vitis could tick off 5 or 6 bottles that would blow me away and change my viewpoint.

However, in my limited experience, this is pretty typical for a Petite Sirah. The aromas are often more enticing than the body, which can be tannic, earthy and chewy. I like it more as a blending grape in zinfandels (like in some Ridge bottlings). It can help lend some structure to a wine, but not necessarily fruit.

Just waiting for that PS revelation...

Cheers,

Otis
I am not an expert, but I have some experience with Petite Sirah. I bought 3 bottles of 1995 Fieldcrest PS when I was touring Napa and Sonoma in 1997? The first bottle I opened in 1999 and I found a mass of tanins as well as some fruit. I did not enjoy that bottle. I just opened the last one and I can say that it was much more open and the fruit was not obscured by tanins for the most part. I am not sure if the wine is at its peak yet and I think it will last another 5-8 years.

Petite Sirah at its best is full bodied and LONG LIVED. It is not meant to drink young. I think a 7-12 year window would be a good starting point and that some of the better PS may last 20-25 years.

Good luck finding some good PS.

EDJ
I found the '97 and '99 EOS PS head and shoulders above the '97 Schuetz-Oles PS and agree w/otisabdul's assessment of the Schuetz-Oles. The best I've had to date was the '97 David Bruce Russian River Valley PS, a huge glass of wine that made you want more with each taste. Although I know that there are more producers of PS-only bottlings, they are distributed far and few between in KY.

[ 08-30-2002, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: kybo ]
Ones that you can maybe find are Concannon (Livermoore Valley) and Foppiano. Both are good, if you can find some '97 Concannon Reserve PS, you will find a great bottling of PS. (I have one bottle left, and am looking for a reason to open it. If you're in the area, I might be willing to open it.)

Brian

Add Reply

Likes (0)