This bottle was near perfection and showing as well as any Le Pin I have ever enjoyed.

An intoxicating nose of crushed berries, gravel, coffee grounds and olive. A full and rich palate showing ripe plum, dried herbs, raspberry and black olive. Ever sip offered something different.

Simply a long and flawless finish for perhaps a flawless wine in the future. (2010-2012)

This is a Merlot with few peers in my opinion.
Original Post
I have had the '03 thanks to a friend. A very nice wine that I think will see falling prices due to the '04 hype.

I would not call it a stunning wine, but excellent. I would hold off until the price hits bottom.

Now for the '04 pricing... Eek
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Speaking of which... Suckling's notes for the '04 quote the price as $250, but I've never seen it for sale south of $400. I'm assuming that this is a distributor issue, no?

This is one of those cases in which I honestly wish WS weren't doing such a good job! Big Grin Seriously, let the wine be released. Let those of us who know what we want buy it at a reasonable price. THEN drop a 95+ rating on it, and let the lemmings chase the score at whatever price. With the '04 BdM to be released this coming year, this is a genuine concern of mine. What to do? Oh, hum.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I have had the '03 thanks to a friend. A very nice wine that I think will see falling prices due to the '04 hype.

I would not call it a stunning wine, but excellent. I would hold off until the price hits bottom.

Thank You.

I was trying to avoid the inevitable price jump from the release price on the 04 by looking 'early' to locate some. Sadly, that window of opportunity has passed...
I think the 03 was under 200.00 (but not by much)
stickman-
Le Macchiole Messorio is always one of those 'special' wines always almost impossible to find at 'release' prices. Regarded as an Italian 'First Growth', it's right there with the Masseto and Tua Rita Redigaffi. Small production volumes further add to the issue.
Sounds great - I've not had this as it's hard to find anywhere and definitely not distributed in Ohio.

Sounds more like Masseto, which I think is stellar, than Redigaffi, which isn't as much my style. Is this correct?
May I add the Galatrona to the list of Italian 'peers'?
Perhaps not (yet) consistently up there. But at least the '04 showed its enormous potential.

BTW I was able to secure a bottle of '04 Messorio a few weeks ago in Italy well below $250.
But my 'regular' supplier in the Netherlands has raised the price from €125 pre-release to a whopping €345 at this moment. I suppose its an open market issue......
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:

May I add the Galatrona to the list of Italian 'peers'?

You will not get an argument from me. Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.