Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

got back from a trip to Rome, Florence, and Tuscany last week. We had the 1996 at a restaurant in Rome and thought it was excellent(no notes). We were amazed at the great Ciantti Classicos you cold get on the menus and at the hotel bars for under 20 euros, the 97 and 99 were outstanding. I have been trying to buy some here, but the costs are "putting me off". We stopped at a very small vineyard on our way from Greve to Sienna and purchased a 97 CC Riserva for 11E,I wish we had brought back more.
Medium-garnet colour to pink/oranging rim. Aromas of fresh roses, lavender, vanilla, earth, spice. Medium-full bodied, with cherry, plum, spice, leather, and dried flowers. Moderate-long finish, with cherry, earth, leather. Began to drink well with 3 hours air. Will continue to develop and show more grace with further cellaring. Way better than the 84 points that JS gave it. 93 points (04/15/2005).
Futronic,

I'm trying to learn more about BdM as much as I can. This time I had the opportunity to chose an older BdM. The choice was mainly determined by the fact that the oldest on the list was this '95 and the fact that Poggio Antico has a good reputation.

As you can see from the notes, I was slightly dissapointed. On hindsight I might even scale it 1 or 2 points lower than the 88 I gave it.
It did have the same slightly thin character that I experienced with the Banfi BdM '95.

Could you educate me on the fact if this is typical for a '95 compared to more recent BdM? Most of the BdM I've had during the past year are '99 and '01.

I would much appreciate your input on this!
Jochems,

The '95s that I've had were all quite structured, with some evolved notes, but still plenty of enjoyable fruit. The ones I've had were not fruit bombs, but quite representative of Brunello.

If you look back on my note, you'll see that a solid amount of air was given to the bottle I tasted, and needed every minute of it. If opening another bottle, similar air would be necessary, if it wasn't left in the cellar for further aging.

If you've had a solid handful of Brunello and enjoyed what the wine has to offer - and then ended up disappointed in the '95 Riserva, one of three things could have happened:

1.) The wine didn't get enough air.
2.) This bottle was damaged/slightly off
3.) You don't like the style of the house

Based on your posts elsewhere on the forum and the fact that you've been drinking (and seemingly enjoying) Brunello, I would fathom that either 1.) or 2.) is probably the case.

Hope that helps.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.