1992 DOMINUS

What a wonderful wine. Very easy to enjoy this seemless wine with a great meal.

I do not hear much about the '92 like the '91,'87 & '94. but based on this bottle we should hear more about this vintage imo.

This night the nose was full of rose petals and cherry and a whiff of cedar. On the palate I got more Merlot (plum) than I expect in Dominus, followed with black cherry currant, spice, tobacco, coffee with a touch of mineral on the smooth finish.

Nothing not to like and enjoy in this wine imo.One of the best Dominus I have ever had.

w+a
This is a wine that continues to shine imo.

I love several years of Dominus and gald to still have a few older bottles from '87,'91 and '94. Too bad the price went sky high!

There is just something about the '92 that pulls me in. It seems to have a layer or depth most others do not share in my opinion. Very special wine.

This is also one of the wines I had in Mexico last week.

w+a
1992 was a terrrible year in Napa, especially for Dominus. In fact, you probably don't want to drink it at all. Razz

I offer to be the good samaritan and take this off your hands. In fact, I will pay you for your troubles. Wink

Just kidding. Enjoy the 92s. I've had it once and it was drinking quite well and had the stuffing to go a few more years in the cellar.
N
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I had the chance to enjoy again last night and it only confirmed this is one of the great wines from a great year in Napa.

I purchased a few of these on YOUR recommendation W+A. I'm waiting to hear when to open Razz No pressure mind you Big Grin
I also picked up '94 at the time, as this was actually 'rated' higher. Ever tried one?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
N
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I had the chance to enjoy again last night and it only confirmed this is one of the great wines from a great year in Napa.

I purchased a few of these on YOUR recommendation W+A. I'm waiting to hear when to open Razz No pressure mind you Big Grin
I also picked up '94 at the time, as this was actually 'rated' higher. Ever tried one?

The '94, '91 and '87 are all wonderful, but do not sell the '92 short.

I brought this to an offline with Skoshy, wiml, purple and Randy Sloan and I think it was drinking well, and still drinking well.
I had the '94 two weeks ago and it was awesome! Still very vibrant and certainly has the legs to go a number of more years.

We had a '95 Peter Michael Les Pavots beforehand which I also thought was very good, but the Dominus was clearly at an even higher level...
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/1/2007)
    Splash decanted for one hour. Garnet Red in color. NO bricking and minimal deposit. Fresh and tight on the nose, with aromas of Black Currant, mushrooms, cedar and a hint of caramel. On the palate, fresh and a bit tight yet. The fruit carries through strongly with a medium long finish. Quite nice, the `92 Dominus has a LONG life ahead of it. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
quote:
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/1/2007)
    Splash decanted for one hour. Garnet Red in color. NO bricking and minimal deposit. Fresh and tight on the nose, with aromas of Black Currant, mushrooms, cedar and a hint of caramel. On the palate, fresh and a bit tight yet. The fruit carries through strongly with a medium long finish. Quite nice, the `92 Dominus has a LONG life ahead of it. (93 pts.)

Tight? Confused A little surprised, but glad you still enjoyed.

I'm thinking of pulling the '90 this weekend.
I'll be quick to admit that this was my first '92. After SO MUCH has been commented about this vintage, I was a little 'underwhelmed'. Very possibly due to 'pre-conceived expectations'. I have another few, so we'll see if there was any 'bottle variation', etc....

I DID enjoy it. Very much. Just not 'moved'. Smile
Had this 2 nights ago.

A real solid 94 pt effort.

I agree with w+a with the rose petals and the cedar. The berry component though was muted and I wish I let this sit in the decanter a little longer as it tasted better as the night went on.

I got a smoky tobacco, coffee, loads of black fruit, incredibly smooth on both the palate and finish.

Actually as I read w+a's versus what I have in my TN I think he hit it spot on.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Had this 2 nights ago.

A real solid 94 pt effort.

I agree with w+a with the rose petals and the cedar. The berry component though was muted and I wish I let this sit in the decanter a little longer as it tasted better as the night went on.

I got a smoky tobacco, coffee, loads of black fruit, incredibly smooth on both the palate and finish.

Actually as I read w+a's versus what I have in my TN I think he hit it spot on.

I agree with you, w+a knows his wine! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Stahl:
I would have to agree with Board-o on this one. I tasted the 92 along side of an Pahlmeyer Prop Red and hands down the Dominus came out on top. I just bought an 87 Dominus for 100 clams. Deal or No Deal.

I have had well over a case of the '87 including one within the last year with Skoshy and others.

If the provenance was good, you will be in for a treat.

Post what you think...
I am a big fan of dominus, have had just about every vintage going back to 84 and I think the 92 is the closest to being a big bordeux styled wine. Sadly I think the prices of some of the more recent vintages are a bot pricey. THe 89-99 was their being run with 89,91,92 and 99 standing out as my fav's.
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/22/2008)
    Opened and allowed to air in bottle for one hour. Deep ruby red in color. Very plush, complex, Bordeaux-like aromas of meat, pencil lead, mushroom, cassis and black currant. Integrated complexities come through to the palate, offering a lush and silky mouth feel, followed by a long and pleasent finish. This bottle was truly showing very well. (94 pts.)

quote:
  • 1992 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/22/2008)
    Opened and allowed to air in bottle for one hour. Deep ruby red in color. Very plush, complex, Bordeaux-like aromas of meat, pencil lead, mushroom, cassis and black currant. Integrated complexities come through to the palate, offering a lush and silky mouth feel, followed by a long and pleasent finish. This bottle was truly showing very well. (94 pts.)

Wink
Thanks for the notes. I'm going to a wine tasting this saturday and I know at least one bottle will be present so I'll make sure I'm first in line since there will be 17 people at the tasting. Wink I'm bringing two bottles of 1999 Ridge Lytton springs zin so I know everyone will get a taste.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Good note KSC. It was an excellent bottle, but it had the misfortune of being up against some serious competition that night.

No argument there! Cool

Luckily the champagne was there to even out the playing field. Cool
Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Good note KSC. It was an excellent bottle, but it had the misfortune of being up against some serious competition that night.

No argument there! Cool

Luckily the champagne was there to even out the playing field. Cool
I was just reading the there was only 53% Cabernet Sauvignon in the final blend of this wine, and the balance was Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Would this be the reason that it is somewhat unique to the other vintages around the same time (which I'm guessing are Cabernet Sauvignon dominant)?

Add Reply

Likes (0)