1990 Krug Brut Champagne

Last night's bottle was as good as the previous. In a truly difficult decision (not...) I decided that it is one of my all time favorite wines. Winner

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
We thought that you might hear the Krug pop and materialize like all good Champagne geeks. Cool

I've literally seen w+a do this, winetex. Cool

I have my talents. Cool

The cork pop was on the quiet side otherwise I thought we might have an appearance by wine+art.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Interesting view w+a.

from last year, i found hte 88 fresher but the 90 much more enjoyable now in terms of complexity and balance.

i am with you buddy... prefer the 90 to the 88 myself. but anyone can happily pour me either and i will be more than content.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Interesting view w+a.

from last year, i found hte 88 fresher but the 90 much more enjoyable now in terms of complexity and balance.

i am with you buddy... prefer the 90 to the 88 myself. but anyone can happily pour me either and i will be more than content.

That 1990 you opened up at g-man's may be my 2013 WOTY... and we had 1961 Margaux last year...
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
W+A

How did it compare to the '86 Krug Clos de Mesnil we had a few years ago when you came in for the Ryder Cup?

IW

The first bottle W+A shared together was a 86 Krug CdM which was nothing short of outstanding. Was still improving after 3 hours. Razor sharp acidity at first pour softened to a wonderful lemon custard by the end of the meal.
quote:
quote:
W+A

How did it compare to the '86 Krug Clos de Mesnil we had a few years ago when you came in for the Ryder Cup?

IW

The first bottle W+A shared together was a 86 Krug CdM which was nothing short of outstanding. Was still improving after 3 hours. Razor sharp acidity at first pour softened to a wonderful lemon custard by the end of the meal.

A magnum of '86 Krug CdM from a few years back remains my all-time favorite bottle of Champagne. I've had the '90 and '88 Krugs each a few times and while excellent, it is hard for me to imagine either ever getting to the '86 CdM level.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
We enjoyed this wine this past Saturday night. While still not as good as the '88, it might be gaining on her. Big Grin

We "argued" about this pair of wines the first time we met! LOL Love them both.

PH

We did indeed, and I'm still right! Razz

Both are brilliant. While neither will ever equal the '59, I do think the '96 may rival it someday.
quote:
W+A

IW

I remember that bottle. Big Grin

A very different style of wine for sure. I thought the '86 Clos de Mesnil was drinking like a stellar Montrachet with bracing acidity.

We need to share this wine again, IW. Wink
quote:
quote:
W+A

IW

TPE, what a stunning bottle that was, and as you said, it just kept getting better and better. Cool

Add Reply

Likes (0)