Textbook Beaucastel nose of cedar, roasted chestnuts, dried clove and orange peel. The palate is rich and smoky, with an underlying briary edginess. Hot stones, tobacco and dried cherries linger on the finish. Still going strong. Drink now through 2016. 96 points.
Original Post
Had this to celebrate a friends first anniversary.
Nose - cedar, leather, earth, wet leaf, cherry, black raspberry, currant and floral.
Palate - lovely integration of fruit and earthy characteristics....seemless. An almost subtle blue cheese note is really nice, cedar, leather, tart cherries, meaty and savoury. So elegant....wow. Aerate it and it explodes.
Finish is long....complex and layered and come at u at different angles....the earth, wet leaf, chery, cedar, leather, herbs and a myriad of other things. This really makes u think! I love it.
Almost classic...a bit flater on the palate then the last 90 but none the less unreal and an experience
94+points
Thanks for the notes. I havn't revisited this wine for a couple years. Last week I had tried two 1998 Beaucastel blind at a tasting and found quite alot of bottle variation after the wines were unwrapped. Any thoughts on on your experience with the 1998? I know Baird had a 375 ml bottle recently that he posted as closed? I thought the first bottle was closed, but the second one was showing pretty well?
board-o posted:

We had another one of these this evening. Some cedar and cherries on the nose and a palate with ripe red berries and a complex finish that didn't fade. This is about the finest CdP I've ever had. 98 now and possibly still improving.

Thanks for the note board-o. Do you think beaucastel in general needs more time than the majority of other cdp producers or do you think a lot of the top cdp wines from a good vintage need almost 30 years of age?

mplswineguy posted:
Thanks for the notes. I havn't revisited this wine for a couple years. Last week I had tried two 1998 Beaucastel blind at a tasting and found quite alot of bottle variation after the wines were unwrapped. Any thoughts on on your experience with the 1998? I know Baird had a 375 ml bottle recently that he posted as closed? I thought the first bottle was closed, but the second one was showing pretty well?

I just had this for my daughter's birthday wine. I do not have the descriptors that some have here, but I thought it was still very good. The price tag, which was still on the bottle, was for $19.95. I actually have a second bottle.

Add Reply

Likes (0)