1982 Montrachet, Marquis de Laguiche

This was our fourth and final bottle of this wine. It was disappointing in 1986, 1990, 1998, and again now. The color remains fairly light golden, but the depth and complexity of Montrachet have always been lacking in this wine. I prefer my Chardonnays young, but I have been holding onto this last bottle hoping it would evolve into something beautiful. It had a nose of tropical fruit reminiscent of a Beringer Sbragia. The wine was austere with a melon and hint of citrus flavor. 90
Original Post
Hi merris. I'm probably not the one to ask. I like virtually all Chardonnays at about 4 years after vintage date. I have kept some Grand Cru white Burgundies for 15 or 20 years as an experiment. Many of them hold for years, but I don't think they improve. The only reason I held this Montrachet as long as I did is that it was disappointing (for a Montrachet) and I hoped that waiting might allow it to evolve into something better. I've had a few Ramonet Grand Crus from 1978, 1979, 1982, 1985, and 1986 (I think) and every one of them has been truly outstanding, but I don't believe I ever had one much more than ten years old.

If that 1995 were mine, I'd open it soon. I envy you. The 1982 Marquis de Laguiche was my last Montrachet. I will likely never buy another. I look forward to your notes.
Ab-so-lute-ly, merris. We'd love that. I remember a while ago you had inquired here about selling your wine collection. I'm glad to see you didn't.

We might a group together for a dinner in the city or possibly a dinner at my home. I'm sure I can dig up a First Growth or Grand Cru or two.

When you know anything, email me at chemocurtis@hotmail.com.
Likes (0)