Decanted for at least an hour which was a mistake. Hints of cola and cherries on the palate a little musty. Probably missed the earlier odors and tastes due to the longevity of the decanter. Not in decline but do not decant for a long period of time...
Last edited {1}
Original Post
mareff, give us a little more info. Do you think it was an off bottle or corked? An hour of decanting should not matter that much in the aroma or flavors of the wine.
Or maybe it was a sound bottle and just dead or over-oxygenated due to the decanting. You can't assume it was an off bottle or corked just because it didn't show well.
I agree with Fut. Decanting a wine that age, that long, can easily kill the subtle fruit and aroma flavors you opened it for. Typically, a CdP, and most any wine that age, is a pop-and-pour. Next time, taste a little right away and work from there.
Sorry your bottle didn't show well, mareff. Next time....
I doubt that it was cooked or corked, we ordered if from the Kittle House which has a great reputation for wine, that is not to say that they have never had a corked wine...
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
I doubt that it was cooked or corked, we ordered if from the Kittle House which has a great reputation for wine, that is not to say that they have never had a corked wine...

ooh great place, if it weren't so far to drive home!! =)
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

Mareff, I find that a curious comment. There is nothing a restaurant, retail store or you or I could ever do to cork a wine.

You are right, I'm positive they have poured 1000's of corked wines... between 5% - 10% just like every other place in the world. Wink

If I had to guess, I would say the wine was past peak, or poor provenance.

Try the '89 if you have the chance. Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.