Florida Keys Girl and I headed up to Tampa this weekend to celebrate Mrs. Pinotlver's birthday -after the Offline last week at Jburman's, there was a lot to live up to and I think we did admirably. Also it was a pleasure to meat Cali Wine and his wife

As usual with me, no real notes but the wines were noteworthy enough to deserve some commentary.

Started with a bottle of J.K. Carriere Pinot Noir Rose - I did not get the vintage. Fairly linear, but very refreshging and enjoyable.

At Side Berne's in Tampa - all brought to restaurant.

2007 Aubert Ritchie Vineyard Chardonnay - very nice nose, too much oak and toast on the finish for my taste but others seem to really enjoy it.

2005 Nicolas Potel Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru, Aux Malconsort - decanted when we sat down. Needed more time. Earthy (in a good way), well balanced - finish lengthened significantly with air and complexity increased. Nice albeit very young burg.

1997 Poggio de Sotto Brunello di Montalcino - we brought this - and have had a number of prior bottles - I think this bottle was slightly off - there was a good amount of seepage on the cork and I think there was some air exposure. Even with that - it was still an excellent bottle just not quite up to previous times. Strong components of dark fruits with the switch to red just starting to happen. Not quite as perfumy as normal. I think everyone enjoyed this wine a lot and only FKG and I were slightly dissappointed by it knowing the heights it can reach.

1970 Leoville Las Cases - huge thanks to Jorgerunfast from who we got this bottle. Fill level was good although not as good as the Unico. The foil was disintegrated on top and the cork looked horrible - and crumbled when they tried to open. Was decanted and strained just to remove cork not by our choice. Turned out to be an excellent bottle. Still had stuffing, still had tannin and there was still some fruit remaining. Strong tobacco and leather component but fruit remained. An excellent bottle. Still had length on the finish.

1970 Vega Sicilia Unico - show stopper of a wine. Hard to believe this bottle was 40 years old. Still has a long life ahead although drinking great. Hints of spice is my biggest recollection of this bottle.

After dinner we went to the Dessert room in Berne's and ordered a 1964 Cote Rotie (from a producer I never got the name of Devost or something like that) - This was also an excellent bottle. Strong leather, still extremely dark in color (although it was very dark in the room so who knows).

That was it for Friday night.

Saturday night was the party itself. We started with:

2001 Siduirat with Brie - incredible as usual

2007 AP Vin Kanzler
2004 Clos FIgueres Priorat
2004(?) Match Butterdragon
2005 Pride Reserve Cab
2007 Karl Lawrence Cab
200(?) Karl Lawrence Bordeaux blend.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
1970 Vega Sicilia Unico - show stopper of a wine. Hard to believe this bottle was 40 years old. Still has a long life ahead although drinking great. Hints of spice is my biggest recollection of this bottle.

I've yet to experiance a vintage of Vega Sicilia Unico that didn't WOW me. A gorgeous wine.

Nice notes, Jc. Much appreciated.
JC,

Thanks for writing this up. It was wonderful to have you and FKG up for the weekend.

The Match was indeed a 2004, the 2nd KL was the 2007 Aldin Red and the 2005 Pride was the regular Napa, not the reserve.

No doubt the biggest surprise was the 1970 Las Cases in that after seeing the cork, I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised at how well it showed. No doubt its on the down slope of its life, but was very enjoyable.

Not having any experience with old Spanish wine and Unico in particular, I was really surprised at how young it was..I mean, there was no signs of age in its color and showed power and finesse on the palate. Also agree it has plenty of life left, but truly is in its prime.

I probably should not have brought the Potel 'burg, but since it was a wine the Mrs. and I enjoyed so much together at a tasting a couple of years ago, it seemed appropriate. I saved some in my glass to the absolute end of dinner to enjoy with my duck and it was really nice then.

Special kudos to Sidebern's for preparing off menu Foie Gras and Sweetbread dishes for Mrs. Pinotlvr and I and for keeping us all with fresh glasses for each wine. No wonder its my favorite restaurant in Tampa.

This has truly been two back to back epic weekends of wine and friends.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:

Not having any experience with old Spanish wine and Unico in particular, I was really surprised at how young it was..I mean, there was no signs of age in its color and showed power and finesse on the palate. Also agree it has plenty of life left, but truly is in its prime.

Pinotlvr, thanks for the note. Each time I have had this wine, I have thought the wine is still young, and not sure the best is still not yet to come. Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)