My expectations were high for this wine based on the cork, which was excellent for a wine of such age. This bottle was excellent.

Still a surprisingly masculine wine. With a little time to open up, an earthy nose with tobacco, raisin and licorice. On the palate, raspberry, mushroom and licorice, with a hint of sweetness on a full and long finish.

With this cork, this wine would have held for 20 more years in my opinion. Smile

This bottle along with the '52 Figeac I had in March with Skosh, JK & KS, shows me 1952 was a very good year. Big Grin
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by dr.darkrichandbold:

Nice note. Score?...even though I know it pains you... Wink

DRAB, my reluctances to score on wines with much age is the question of provenance and palate preference. I would hate to see some rush out to buy a wine with questionable provenance, or buy a mature Bordeaux not knowing what to expect.

Now, that said, 96+ points. Smile
quote:
I would hate to see some rush out to buy a wine with questionable provenance, or buy a mature Bordeaux not knowing what to expect.

Maybe just state what kind of bottle you're posting on? One you've had since release, or a recent purchase, etc.? If you feel the need...I think most of us trying wines like this understand the risk involved with unknown provenance. Just my $.02...
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

how does one decide when to have a bottle like this?

Big Grin, for me g-man, I never give it too much thought. I just try to pull wines I think people will enjoy based on what knowledge I have of their palate.

I think sharing ones wine is one of the best parts of collecting the stuff! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
I think sharing ones wine is one of the best parts of collecting the stuff!

Truer words were never spoken!

Absolutely, right on! Wink

Yep, dead on. There's no point of drinking great wine alone.
That's one of the greatest post ever written on this board!
French16, I always get an odd look when I tell people that...I have never opened a bottle of wine without someone to share it with, ever. The last funny look was from Indybob's beautiful wife to be. Smile

I have poured a glass from an already open bottle alone, but never opened a new bottle. Red Face
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I have never opened a bottle of wine without someone to share it with, ever.

Good thing I've got a great invisible friend that always joins me for my wines. I'd shudder at the thought at how thirsty you must be sometimes =)
I have a split personality, regarding drinking fine wines alone:
During the wines early years, i tend to check the evolution of the wine myself (unless sitting around with some wine experts, which is rarely the case). When the wine reaches maturity, i'll serve it to family and friends.

Add Reply

Likes (0)