We opened this bottle with both excitement and trepidation.

We were rewarded with a wonderful older Bordeaux that was still showing well.

The nose was showing mushroom, tobacco and licorice. On the palate there was still fruit (plum and currant) showing after all these years, with truffle and a little cedar on the finish.

A wine not to score in my opinion, but to contemplate the vicissitudes of life over. Cool
Original Post
Nice! It's great to see notes like this from time to time. It really shows how special wine can be. A nice memory for you.

Congratulations.
Nice! One of those treats that rarely come along. 25 years ago I got to share with two others a bottle of 1929 Pichon Baron. It was very nice as best as I can recall.
I have a bottle of '29 Yquem waiting for that special occassion. (Maybe I'll wait until the day futronic has as many french wines as Italian.)
Dokta,

Nice, very nice but I'm afraid you may never get to open it. Big Grin

The '67 I had last year in Mexico (same friend as the '29 LB) was my favorite, followed by the 1869 I had 10 years ago.
Wine+art,

I am envious of you. In all reality, I will probably never get to taste/drink a wine that old. The oldest I have ever had is 1958 BV GDL.
Thank you for sharing the notes, it is always a pleasure to read them and imagine tasting them.
Based on the last bottle we opened in February, we decided now was the time to enjoy again along with the '29 Montrose.

While I have had older Bordeaux this year (right Skoshy) and better Bordeaux this year ( right Skoshy) this bottle of Lynch proves to me my February bottle was not a fluke.

I picked up a touch of orange zest in this bottle, but overall, showing much the same.

Very solid bottle of wine. I wonder if the 1989 will hold as well?
irwin, decanted for sediment only, then drank within first 15 minutes.

The color was lighter than the Montrose and the 1920 Gruaud Larose we had in February, looked much like a fine aged Burgundy. Both bottles were showing much less bricking than one might have thought.
I'd have to ask,

I've only had a few lynch from the 90s and 2000's
but every time I've had it, there has always been a very heavy brett presence.

Does it go away with age?

or does it attribute to that mushroom flavor that I too taste in the younger LBs.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
I'd have to ask,

or does it attribute to that mushroom flavor that I too taste in the younger LBs.

g-man, just want to make sure we are on the same page.

When you say brett, or perhaps dekkera, are you talking about barnyard, organic aromas and or old wet leather aromas?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
I'd have to ask,

g-man, just want to make sure we are on the same page.

When you say brett, or perhaps dekkera, are you talking about barnyard, organic aromas and or old wet leather aromas?

yea definite barnyard, old wet leather aromas...
They definitely do blow off after 15-30 mins in the decanter, but very noticeable when first opened. I've had 2x 95s, 1x 90, 1x 88, 3x 2002 and they all had it. Could be my string of luck
g-man, I have never known of true Brett to blow off, but know some wine enthusiast think it does.

This is not something I think of with Lynch. I tend to think of mint, eucalyptus and licorice.

We just need to drink one together soon. Smile
quote:
The '67 I had last year in Mexico (same friend as the '29 LB) was my favorite, followed by the 1869 I had 10 years ago.

Eek Eek Eek ...(I'd say/write something, but my mouth is frozen with my jaw on the table).
You're drinking well wine+art, nicely done!

With regard to Brett, my understanding is that it actually only gets worse with age. As for blowing off, I don't believe that to be the case either.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
Yup, that's just what a Jedi would say. My training continues. Big Grin Wink

padawan
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
Yup, that's just what a Jedi would say. My training continues. Big Grin Wink

padawan

Big Grin Ya, 'guess so.
quote:
We opened this bottle with both excitement and trepidation.

We were rewarded with a wonderful older Bordeaux that was still showing well.

The nose was showing mushroom, tobacco and licorice. On the palate there was still fruit (plum and currant) showing after all these years, with truffle and a little cedar on the finish.

A wine not to score in my opinion, but to contemplate the vicissitudes of life over. Cool

Very cool. Good for you.
My birth year wine. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.