'02 Merlin-Cherrier - body, more body and fruit. great, almost exotic mid-palalte. truly great wine practically for a song, about $15.00
'02 Andre Vatan Les Charmes - greener, leaner and meaner. not nearly as good. Frown

Free Lynndie England!
Original Post
I've had a number of the 2002s and been generally pleased. Sancerre's our go-to white wine in a restaurant with an over-priced wine list.

Just one more sip.
board-o, both '01 and '02 are good. what's the scoop on '03?
it's nice to see more Sancerres on wine lists, although it became a bit of a cliche here. Sancerre seems to be the favorite word of local crowd. Roll Eyes i hear it everywhere. it's the new chardonnay. Big Grin
i always order red sancerre if i see it, and '02 pinots are much better than savignons. don't hesitate to try if you come across any.
now, '02 Muscadets, i can't get enough of these beauties. Wink cheers.

Free Lynndie England!
Last edited {1}
I don't know anything about the '03 Sancerres, but the Loire has very few bad vintages. I've onl;y had one red Sancerres and wasn't too happy with it, but one bottle does not a statistically significant experience make.

Just one more sip.
they are unsual, to a degree, and will certainly throw you off, if you expect Pinot in full bloom.
ripeness in red grapes is something they achieve at best 2-3 times in a decade. and even though it's not Burgundy(nothing is), in ripe years they are undeniably charming, with flavors not found in any other terroirs producing Pinot. should i keep you in mind, if i come across some that are really good?
cheerios!
Sure, if you'd score them in the 90s. Btw, we're having a 2002 Jolivet Sancerres tomorrow night.

Just one more sip.
I've been excited about all the Loire whites from the '02 vintage that I've tried. The '02 Chateau de Sancerre is the best wine I've had from that property.

Jancis Robinson is high on the '03 vintage in the Loire, but has some reservations about Sancerre. You'll both find her comments interesting:

Jancis Robinson on '03 Loire

I'll be interested to try the '03 reds as well. Ripe Franc is way better than green.

-----------------------------

Cheers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.