Skip to main content

Reply to "Your opinions on the "raw cuisine" movement..."

Huh, I guess I get in the habit of posting and running. I gotta stop doing that. Sorry for the less than prompt responses, people...

cluricaunwines:
Thanks for the tip! I assume from the magazine it is in, that the article focuses on the "haute cuisine" emphasis of raw foods? To clarify this topic, I am not interested in reading about if or if not the concept of raw foods is sound, I am interested if raw foods can be prepared in such a way so that it can be considered "fine dining." In other words, I don't want to eat a raw carrot, I want to eat bleeding heart beet ravioli with a morel mushroom and black truffle emulsion.

DebAnne:
The book is available in any of the larger bookstores in the Chicago area...Even if you don't agree with the concept of raw foods, the book is a treatise on culinary inventiveness and flavor matching. An incredible education!

Nsexton:
Yup, that's what eating a lot of fiber can do to a person...Our normal diet is usually so deficient in fiber, when we "fiber load" our GI tract goes hay-wire for a bit before it can handle the excessive (relative) amounts of indigestible plant material. Smile But not to worry, it is a temporary effect, and should subside in time. Just take it slow.

jsmd:
Aside from the comment regarding the reason for writing the book, you basically mirror what I feel. I did not mean for this thread to be about nutrition, but rather if this type of cuisine can be made in such a way to rival (in taste and complexity) other known bastions of culinary delight.

DJ Hombre:
I can understand how you feel, and that was what my initial response to idea was. However, knowing what high standards Trotter uses, and after reading the book, I have to say, I am intrigued. I would even go to say that if you are trying to prepare a gourmet meal using the raw foodist philosophy, it is more difficult to do and requires a much higher amount of culinary skill. I mean, imagine what you would have to do to make a few raw carrots, beets, mushrooms, and nuts taste just as good as say, "South Dakota Veal Loin with Short Rib Tortellini, White Runner Beans, Black Trumpet Mushrooms & Sage Infused Veal Reduction" a current offering on the Grand menu at Trotter's.

R2--
Tee-hee...As do I. Although I keep saying, take a look at this book...the recipes sound amazing...Next time I see you, I'll try to remember to bring it.

Escape--
Believe it or not, the raw menu at Trotter's is the most expensive option...$200 per person as opposed to the Kitchen at $150, Grand at $125, Vegetable at $100. And, it looks, without a doubt, the most time consuming. Having spent some time as a guest chef in the kitchen, and knowing the difficulty level in preparing the regular menus, after reading the raw recipes, I can't imagine how this restaurant could do that much work for one meal.

As for raw chicken...that's a disaster waiting to happen! Big Grin

Joe
Grape Lakes Wine Appreciation Guild
www.grapelakes.com