Reply to "Your 2019 WOTY"

Don’t offline much these days so most of these are at home or at restaurants with my wife.  A few wines that come to mind this morning from this past year:

- 02 Jadot Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses - I don’t buy much Jadot but their Amoureuses is consistently excellent IMO and this was in the perfect spot paired with duck confit.

- 94 Lopez de Heredia Gran Rerserva Tondonia - I’m about half way through a case of this and this was the best bottle yet.  So pretty on the nose with great fruit and acid to balance.  Amazing with a grilled ny strip.

- Ceritas 2017 Perter Martin Ray Chardonnay - I’ve been buying Ceritas since 2010 and the wines just keep getting better, especially the Chards.  This wine was so so good and just lovely with grilled branzino and herb sauce.

- 2015 Shafer Frohlich Bockenauer Felseneck GG - I’ve probably had more riesling than anything this year and hard to pick just 1 but this was special despite its youth.  If memory serves this was fireworks with homemade pork larb.  

- Pizza wines - I thought I would shout out some pizza wines as we love pizza and make it most weeks and mostly on Mondays (makes Mondays not seem so bad).  I think pizza leads to so many fun wine pairings and this year some of my favorites were wild mushroom and kale with Trousseau from either Jolie-Laide or Sandlands or harder to find but killer Fedellos do Couto Bastarda from Ribera Sacra. Classic pizza with fresh tomato sauce, cheese and salami or sausage with the 2017 Mortellito Rosso Sicilian Calaniuru or Occhipinti Il Frappato.  Bacon, onions and cream pizza with Albert Boxler Riesling.  So many more but those come to mind first.

Honorable mention to 2015 DRC Eschezeaux and RSV.  Fun to taste side by side but way to young to put on the best of list.