Skip to main content

Reply to "YEAR 1: Tasting Across America Results."

While it is true that it is difficult, check that, impossible to guarantee a 90+ point wine, my point is that selling the TAA with some conviction is absolutely key. In the month I have hung out on this forum I have found a number of great wines that I would have never heard of, let alone thought about trying, had it not been for the conviction of the poster. I believe the hysteria created by JMT's Post "Cooper Garrod George's Vineyard Cabernet 1997: FANTASTIC!" is the perfect example. He made a believer out of me and I bent over backwards to secure my 7 bottles. Apparently, I wasn't the only one because well over 50 of us jumped on the bandwagon paying between $26 and $35 a bottle (plus shipping), and that's just the one's who posted! Over 20 people posted their tasting notes and it wasn't even a TAA!

Another example is the Solanera. Gene wrote "If You Read Only One TN in 2003--MAKE IT THIS ONE!! 2001 Castano Solanera Vinas Viejas". The forumites piled on and I was in line to buy both the Hecula and the Solanera. Granted, Parker had review this one, but who cares???

I could give more examples in the last month, but I think I have made my point. There are a number of great wines out there. You can't guarantee 90+ points, but I think if given the challenge, a number of forumites would step up to the plate. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm a dreamer. After all I've only been here for a month. But I think you might be underestimating the people who dwell here.

We just need to challenge these hosts to step up to the plate!

One question that would be interesting to know is what is the average score of the host? Is it over 90? If not, then we already have a problem. If the host doesn't love the wine, why should we?

Not trying to argue, only trying to offer the opinion of a nonparticipant. Hopefully we can raise the bar and have the TAA live up to its potential.