Skip to main content

Reply to "YEAR 1: Tasting Across America Results."

Thanks for your honest and well-reasoned response. And like you, I am not trying to pick a fight here. I agree with you that variertal selection plays a role here. But I think that most visitors to this site are adventurous enough to try something new, if they can find it, and if it doesn't break the bank. The Foppiano was my first-ever P. Syrah.
I guess I just disagree on 2 points. First, I am not "making up" the numbers. The number of registered members is a known value. It exceeds 4,500. I didn't make that up. You assert that 58 is 1/3 of the "active participants" (Remember, you can't post if you are an unregistered lurker). So you believe that there are no more than 174 "posters". I simply don't believe it.

And I disagree with the conclusion that 25 out of 174 (or as I believe, many times that number)is a solid number. But this is opinion, and not empirical, so we'll leave it at that. While I don't have the time to cross-check, I'd love to know how many unique posters have commented on the '99 Isosceles. This is a much more expensive, and much less available wine than the TAAs noted above. Or better yet, how many people have expressed opinions on the '97 Tapestry, or the WS Top 100, or the WOTY award, or Dress Codes. [EDIT: I just checked. 81 unique users posted on the Dress Codes thread. This was when membership hovered around 2,000 people] I'd take half that level of participation for a wine tasting of global proportions.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer.
Last edited {1}