Reply to "WS Point System"

quote:
Originally posted by asv:
Was thinking today about wine ratings and how the majority of wines in the world rate at WS. I work at a winery tasting room and our wines have been consistently rated from 87-90. Of all the wines rated by WS, where do the majority of them land? I also ask this because every once in a while I get a customer who snubs their nose at anything less than 90 points. And I've also seen a bumper sticker that says "Friends don't let friends drink 100 point wine". Clearly there are points of view out there. What are most people drinking?

I've often been led astray by wine ratings. I think the best they can do is provide a level of comfort that the wine maybe isn't schlock. One rater's 88 is another's 90, and another's 95. Just because a wine receives a high score doesn't mean I'm going to like it.

In a retail store those sub 90 wines are going to lose out to the 90+ tags unless staff are going to point out the value or uniqueness of their other offerings.

It would seem that in a tasting room, you give the customer the opportunity to taste your wines, and can encourage them to come to their own opinion. I think it is tough with a relatively new consumer who is starting to want to upgrade their buy. They take the scores too seriously. But, if you level with them that scores vary by critic, and what really matters is their own taste, maybe you'll convert some to customers. Once I've found a particular producer I like, I tend to buy more of their offerings and in more variety, and rarely pay attention to whatever score they achieve.