Skip to main content

Reply to "What kind of dog do you have?"

I log on to just lurk around for a bit before going home and find this heated debate. Well, happy to weigh in. First, we have 2 German Shepherds, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a yellow Lab. Breed traits are often deep in the genes. I owed a Char Pei once and would not again. He was tempermental and very family protective, but just the immediate family, bit my father once. They have been inbred and bred for fighing for a couple thousand years, so what did I expect? Cute and wrinkly when small though.

However, we have not one, but 2 German Shepherds. They were specifically bred for several generations to be family friendly though and used to herd the kids around when they were small to protect them, to the extent of keeping them in the shallow end of the pool. Careful breeding and the herding instinct can cancel out the agressive nature of many of them. One of them would probably be pretty rough on an intruder, the other not much, but a stranger does not know that. We have them because we feel the need for guard dogs, as do most of the other people in our "small estate" neighborhood, which is full of Rotweilers, Shepherds, Dobermans, etc. Little dogs also get eaten by coyotes here on occasion, as I saw another "missing yorkshire terrier" sign on a mailbox yesterday.

The lab is a true lab, worthless as a guard dog but great as a friend. The chesapeake, too, is true to breed type, very protective of family, a bit temperamental, etc. Growing up, we always had a Doberman or two, maybe as much as 10 overall as my parents still have one. All were family friendly, except one which turned out to have a brain tumor and one rescue dog who apparently was abused as a pup.

Hence I would not own a pit bull. It is my personal, unscientific belief there may be some chummy family friendly ones, but they are an aberration, straining against the gene pool.

Time to go home for wine time.