Skip to main content

Reply to "What kind of dog do you have?"

When I was about 16, my father and I pulled into our usual hunting spot in the mountains to find a very pregnant dog sitting there all alone. She was a dobie/lab mix, and had a tag that said, "Lido" (French for restaurant?). We stayed a week, and notified the sheriff, but no one ever came looking for her. We can only surmise that some scum just didn't want to take care of her and the puppies and dumped her off in the woods. She had 8 pups in the back of my dad's pickup, all which survived. So we brought her home and gave away the pups. She turned out to be that "one-of-a-kind best dog in the world" to me. She had the sweetest disposition of any dog I've ever met.
But when I had my girlfriend (later, wife) over, Lido would, of course, plant herself squarely between us. I think the only reason Lido tolerated her at all was because she worked at a salmon smokehouse at the time and would come over straight from work. Big Grin
Lido lived with my folks to a ripe, old age. Practically a week doesn't go by when I don't think about her & miss her. She's the reason I never got another dog; I just didn't think any other dog could ever measure up. It's been about 20 years since she's gone, and even typing this now makes me a little teary.

Now my daughter has her own dog, and while she's fun sometimes, it isn't the same.