Skip to main content

Reply to "What kind of dog do you have?"

I had a Boxer and a Springer growing up, my wife’s family was Wheaton territory.

We’re looking to get 2 dogs from the same litter in probably 2 years from now once our little guy gets older. Either German Wire-Haired Pointers or Airedales.

As for the ongoing debate on Pitbulls, I’ll only add these two things. #1) Dogs are bred to show certain attributes. Those are inherent in their make-up. All dogs can be bad, all dogs can be good. Dogs can be trained to do things (both good and bad) that may layer overtop of their inherent make-up but training, love, coddling can’t change what a dog, over generations of selective breeding, where designed to do. Pointers will almost always point. Ratters (many smaller terriers especially) want to kill little animals. Newfoundlands will inherently want to swim out and rescue you in open water. Dogs bred to fight large animals have that in their blood. You can layer over training and love so that they know not to do it, but it is still there, bottled up deep inside. On the flip side, no matter how much you train a cocker spaniel to be a fighting guard dog, it’s never going to be good at it. It’s not what it was bred to do…

And #2) My uncle is in the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police to you Americans) and was part of a house raid years ago where one of the other officers was bitten by a pitbull. My uncle emptied his revolver into the dog and the dog didn’t die and didn’t let go of the other officer until my uncle reloaded and shot him point blank in the head twice. I don’t care if it’s a pitbull or a toy poodle, personally, I wouldn’t want an animal that I knew I didn’t have to power to stop.