Reply to "What do you think of the article?"

This extent of public anger, ranting and raving will not serve RP's legacy well. It is a shame, as the man does have extensive experience and talent.

This being said, as a believer in balance in all things, I do hope that his influence on wine making styles comes into more balance. I sense that this is already happening, as the Internet allows us to easily consider the tastes of many critics, often through a single window (such as WineSearcher or Cellartracker).

For my palate (which often seems to be the diametric opposite of RP), I tend to rely on the consensus of reviewers like La Revue Du Vin du France, Guide Hachette, Decanter, Vinum, Jancis Robinson, Gault& Millau, etc. At the other end of the spectrum (not always so much my palate) are RP, Tanzer and average CT scores. I tend to deduct substantial points from those that overrate, like Suckling or Haliday. But sometimes the stars align and everyone thinks a wine is wonderful, and if the price is right, you have to run to buy that.

Better still is the palates of WS Forumites that I have come to know and trust. I have found many new wines at TWC OL's and postings on this Board.