Reply to "What do you think of the article?"

Have to agree with the above. Unless attacked directly, and even then it's not required, I don't see why one needs to complain about other critics or voices.

I even agree with some of what he said.

However, this is insane:

quote:
Chardonnay produces some of the greatest dry white wines in the world and has done so everywhere from California to the East Coast of the United States to Western Europe. Same thing for Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah (although Pinot Noir, at least from France, seems to be the one exception to these crucifications). Of course, they would have you believe some godforsaken grapes that, in hundreds and hundreds of years of viticulture, wine consumption, etc., have never gotten traction because they are rarely of interest (such as Trousseau, Savagnin, Grand Noir, Negrette, Lignan Blanc, Peloursin, Auban, Calet, Fongoneu and Blaufrankisch) can produce wines (in truth, rarely palatable unless lost in a larger blend) that consumers should be beating a path to buy and drink. Most aren't, and just how absurd this notion is becomes evident when the results are oxidized, stale, stink of fecal matter as well as look like orange juice or rusty ice tea being poured into a glass and passed off as "authentic", "natural" or "real" wine.

Didn't he take some credit for the improvement in CdP, which often was oxidized and stank of fecal matter?

Does he really think it's correct to ignore virtually everything about geopolitics? Or geography and politics separately?

Let's see, if England is right next to France and in fact, various kings on both sides claimed part of the other country, are the English going to sail around to Croatia or Georgia to get their wine?

Seems to me like the dominant sea power usually took its influence around the world. The Phoenicians, the Greeks, the Romans, and later the English spread or encouraged viticulture all over the place. The English were dominant for a few centuries and they liked Claret.

As the American wine industry rebooted in the 1970s, America looked to France for all things sophisticated, still enthralled by Jackie Kennedy's Francophilia. That's about when RP started in the business too. But it's all mere coincidence.

It is crazy to imagine that Chardonnay, an extremely insipid grape on its own, is inherently "better" than any number of other grapes and consequently deserves to be the most popular white grape, if indeed it is. That's simply ridiculous.

Moreover, since 1945, France has been rebuilding its wine industry whereas other countries were locked down behind the iron curtain. So French grapes had a head start as the wine industry exploded over the past 40 years. To imagine that other countries, which historically produced wine at least as good as anything from France, somehow "deserved" to be considered second tier because the politics of the day denied them access to technology and markets is really a myopic view of the world.

I would expect better of him.

He has said many times that this is the best time to be a wine lover because of the diversity and quality of so much wine. So then why slam all of that diversity because it isn't Cabernet Sauvignon?

I think it was just a case of PWI.