Reply to "What do you think of the article?"

quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
I don't regularly read the wine press, so I'm curious as to what prompted Parker to write this. From reading this, I'd have to conclude that attacks on him and his brand have increased of late. The piece seems like a very long attempt to protect that brand. He is correct in that the internet allows "wine critics" to pop up (and off) with relative ease. Again, I don't follow the wine press nor I am in the inner circle of wine critics, but didn't some of the people that have been hired by WA of late gain their "credentials" by being internet wine critics?

Last year I decided to drop one of my three subscriptions (WA, WS, Tanzer) because I wasn't using them as much as when I first started taking wine more seriously, so I might as well save some money. I chose WA as the one to drop because I found it the least helpful for several wine regions (didn't align with my palate). The then recent changes made as well as the fact that I can find WA scores/notes on the internet in other places if I'm interested also contributed (that pesky internet hurting Parker again).

OK, so now I read this self-serving diatribe. I got out of it--he's been writing about wines for 35 years (you can make a drinking game out of each time he mentions that fact.) Oh yeah, at different times there's been movements toward the drinking of bad wine--wow. Now where my Bartle and James?

Yep, between the mentions of 35 years experience and consumer advocate, one should be able to get a good buzz going.

Did this article appear in WA or his board, or did it appear in some other media outlet? The other thing I found funny was the DRC quote. I'd be interested in knowing what the ABV for the top vintages of DRC have been over the years. Also, though the DRC quote might well remain valid today, I'm assuming there have been quite a few "advances" in winemaking that make it not an apples to apples comparison.