Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you do about poor wine service?"

quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
Here's a question regarding the opposite end of the wine service spectrum. Do you think that a restaurant which prides itself on its wine list and wine service should automatically rinse the decanter with an appropriate wine prior to decanting the wine you ordered? I've been to a couple of wonderful restaurants where the only minor complaint of the evening was that this service was not offered and the server seemed puzzled by what I was asking.
Why would you need to rinse the decanter?

I had a lengthy discussion about this with some local wine geeks and sommeliers. It seems that the practice of rinsing out the decanter, either with a small amount of the purchased wine or an acceptably similar wine that the restaurant has open, is part of the formal education for sommeliers. The idea, I gather, is that any residual amounts of detergent or the wine previously served in the decanter, or any other off odours or flavours imparted by ambient smells from the kitchen are washed away before my wine goes into the decanter.

Anyway, just wondering. The last time I asked the waiter to do this for me, I got the most bewildered look in response, but they did it anyway.