Reply to "What concerts have you been to lately?"

I was completely blown away by Queen and Adam Lambert last night. 9 rows from the ceiling in a huge arena, and we may as well have been on the floor 20 rows from the stage. At 72, Brian May is an incredibly energetic and obviously talented performer. Roger Taylor’s drumming and backing vocals were great - I mean, he is only 70! While they had a backing percussionist RT was really playing the meat of the parts, and quite well. All of the additional musicians are really, really good. 

I have to give special props to Adam Lambert. When these guys first teamed up, I was skeptical for several reasons. Filling in for Freddie Mercury is simply not possible, as AL has said many times. Also, I had some silly reservations about a “reality show kid” doing this music justice, both in vocal performance and onstage presence. My wife went a year or two ago and raved about the show for days. The opportunity of an extra ticket with some in-laws came up, so I jumped on it. 

Lambert is an incredibly gifted and powerful singer with crazy range. In my opinion, he had just the right amount of flamboyance for the music to go along with great chemistry with the band. He is also obviously appreciative of the opportunity and mindful of the band and Freddie’s place in rock history. To the point, he f***ing nailed it. Also, Queen’s catalog of music is very special. If you have any interest, do yourself a favor and see this show. It’s an arena rock spectacle that has grandeur to the eye, buy is driven by the fantastic music and how it was performed. Bravo. 

My post in the Top Concerts thread has been revised.