Skip to main content

Reply to "What concerts have you been to lately?"

Finally have time to post about the Springsteen concert in Ft Lauderdale. We went as guests of one of the original band members who is a close friend of one of my friends. Bruce and the E Street band was great as always but I found the concert very different than patespo. We had some of the best seats in the house on the first level, several rows up on the corner of the stage where bands always put friends.

Ive been to countless Bruce concerts including opening night of the original River Tour in Ann Arbor. The River has always been one of my least favorite albums. The first two hours they played all the songs on The River (a double album) in order straight through. I found the concert to be plodding if not a bit boring, rushed and uninspired. Maybe 1/3rd of the songs are rocking and the rest are simply meh. The energy in the crowd was nowhere near what it is for a Philly, NY or even LA area show. They simply seemed to be mailing it in this night.

Once they got through the 2 hour River set they launched into another 1 hour and 20 minutes of some of their greatest hits. This is where the show got interesting and started to rock. But still it never reached the heights or energy level of other shows Ive been to over the years.

All things considered, its always a treat to see Bruce and band. They played 3 hours and 20 minutes straight through. It was cool hanging with a few guys in the band before the show and they are professionals unlike most bands. It just wasn't up to the lofty standards I've experienced in the past. Call it an 89 pointer.
Last edited by bomba503