Reply to "What concerts have you been to lately?"

Friends, last night in Rouen, France (Northern France on the Seine River, about 70 miles from where it empties into the English Channel) we went to the beautiful Gothic cathedral for a music and light show. The recorded music was pretty good-- varied, quite a bit of lounge chill, some classical, some acoustic guitar, etc.-- but the light show was nothing short of amazing. Multiple projectors move images all over the highly complicated and intensely decorated facade of the twin-towered cathedral, changing its look constantly, anything from abstract design to the illusion that you're seeing a different cathedral, including Notre Dame of Paris (and a bunch of others that I'm not familiar with), a rainstorm running down the towers, Monet's water lilies floating over the building, box of Crayolas, butterflies, great variety… The saturation of colour and picture is stunning. I have never seen anything quite like it. There must be a highly complex imaging program running and coordinating the multiple projectors for this.

They do 3 shows, each app. 20 min., every evening from 11:00pm to midnight, and this runs until the end of September. I'm not sure whether or not the times change to an earlier start as the days get shorter. If any of you are in northern France in the next couple of months, or even if you're in Paris looking for an interesting side trip, I highly recommend this unique experience.

Oh, and the kicker: it's completely free, though it's a good idea to get to the square outside the cathedral a bit early for the best viewpoints.