Reply to "What concerts have you been to lately?"

I attended a true heavy metal concert last night featuring the bands Black Tusk, Venomous Maximus, and Mastodon at a small Houston club called Fitzgerald's. The club is best known for being the scene of some great Stevie Ray Vaughn gigs back in the day but tonight it was all about cookie-monster vocals and aggressive music.

To be completely honest I had no idea there were three bands on the bill, as I really only wanted to see Mastodon (who are getting a lot of critical acclaim lately from Classic Rock and Classic Rock Presents Prog magazines).

In the end I never did get to see Mastodon as the second act (Venomous Maximus) were still on the stage at midnight and going strong so my friend and I called it a night (we both had important meetings today).

What I did see of the first two bands was not all that interesting, with each song sounding exactly the same as the one prior. Maybe the sound mix was just bad, but one couldn't tell if these guys could play their instruments or not. It was just a wall of noise.