Skip to main content

Reply to "What are "your" 100 point wines?"

I haven't thought of wine in terms of scores in a long time but a few wines that stand out have been:

- 1982 Pichon Lalande - Slayed all of the first growths at the same dinner

- 2008 Coche Perrieres - Not a heralded vintage but something about this wine just hit all of the right notes for me

- 1958 L√≥pez de Heredia Gran Reserva Tondonia - The first time I really understood how well these age.  This bottle was so complex and so alive and just danced perfectly with roasted game. 

- 1993 Rousseau Chambertin - I've had a few very good bottles of this and one insane/great bottle that gave me more pleasure than any bottle of DRC ever has.  Amazing and priced accordingly these days unfortunately.  

Funny story on "100 pt" wines.  This past holiday season one of the service providers we use dropped off a wrapped bottle of wine for me.  I told him thank you very much and put it on the back of my desk.  He says, "open it".  Awkward but I'll play along, so I open it and its a bottle of Bevan napa cab I think.  He says, "that is a 100 pt wine right there.  have you ever had a 100 pt wine?"  I asked, who said it was 100 pt wine?  He said, "everyone, it means its a perfect bottle of wine".  I said, great thank you very much, I can't wait to try it.  I gave it to my admin assistant.  She said it was pretty good but a bit heavy.